overall
RATINGS: 269   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Wild Hop Lager is unique and distinctive. It is made one batch at a time. It does not use any genetically modified products, pesticides or commercial fertilizers. Wild Hop Lager is made from 100% organic barley malt, certified by the USDA and the organic organization Oregon tilth. For more visit www.wildhoplager.com.

barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - AUG 20, 2006
free bottle at Grant’s Farm St. Louis. aroma was the best part, it was all downhill from there. nuff said.

thegreenrooster (4402) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 13, 2006
Pour is a copper with a small head. Aroma is a faint whiff of caramel malts. Flavor is a big fat nothing. No hops and hardly any malts. This is just as bad as any swill you can get in a gas station. I would rate this, this low not even knowing the was AB.

sethdude (706) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Once again, I think this one’s getting killed for the AB association. Pretty much on par with Boston Lager, in my opinion. Aroma is sweet, toast and honey, lemon and grapefruit. Flavor is malty at the head, hoppy in the middle, and malty out the back. Moderate bitter aftertaste is going to turn-off the AB fans out there. Worth a try, but nothing to write home about. I’m not entirely sure this isn’t an APA or a very light amber. It seems to be mislabled as a lager, though it has more of an ale character.

illinismitty (2271) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 30, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2006 Sampled at the Music City Brewers Festival. This had one of the longest lines, and some redneck was behind me and said, "lates go git an aimstale, the lans shorter". In fact I did not know what line I was in until I got up front, then when I saw the Wild Hop and Beach Bum Blond taps...AB! Well, I am open minded, and I love hops..so pour me a 100% organic Wild Hop. Pours amber with little head, and appears to be filtered (hard to tell with these frosted mugs). I don’t care if this is organic, it has ajunct flavors, along with faint caramel and cornbread...where are the hops? This is "wild hop" isn’t it?This tastes like Budweiser with a hint of crystal malt and about 1 IBU of hops. Obviously AB is jumping on the organic bandwagon, and not putting their name on it. Then the uninformed BMC beer drinkers will grab a six of this when shopping at Whole Foods or Wild Oats and think they are drinking good organic craft beer. A gimmick that will not last. Hey AB, you have the branding, market research, advertising, etc.. How about backing it up with a good beer? Ugh!

bb (9268) - Alamo, California, USA - JUL 27, 2006
Bottle. Rich amber color with an off-white head. Floral, grain aroma. Thin mouthfeel. Malty, grainy, floral flavor. Not much going on and has this husky finish to it that coats your tongue.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 21, 2006
Another A-B front I did not know of until after sampling. The commercial description is a joke. This is just bad beer. "Wild Hop"? Were there hops in it? Reminds me of the Sam Adams commercials where they compare the amount of hops in their beer to what others use. Who are the others? BMC? Try comparing the amount you use to what’s in Hercules or Titan or Devil Dancer. Anyway, I digress. This beer poured a rusty brown with a frothy tan head. The aroma was musty and stale and funky. Thin and watery. There was less flavor than one would get sucking on a sweat sock.

vyvvy (6478) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Sampled at St. Louis Microfest - Pours golden brown with a generous tan head. Light grain and light hops on the aroma. Starts out smooth grain and then turns husky, light amount of sweetness. Finish is sour with some light spicy hops. Blah, not much here and what is isn’t that good.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 22, 2006
I can see why AB wants to hide their name on this stuff. It’s horrible. It’s obvious that AB is hopping on the "organic" band wagon and try to see what kind of response they receive. Make no mistake that I doubt they are NOT doing it for the love of making an "organic" beer, but to see if they can steal said market away from the current producers. On to the beer. Aroma was slightly fruity. Appearance was clear in color, a dark orange/red with slight carbonation. Mouthfeel was watery and thin. Lots of grain in the flavor and not much else. I realize it’s time-consuming and labor intensive to make an "orgainc" beer. I also applaud AB doing somthing different but don’t mislead the public by not letting them know that it’s your brew. What ground you gained by doing something different, you lost when you left off your AB tag.

Braudog (6716) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - MAY 19, 2006
At the St Louis Microfest, 5/13/06: Didn’t think as poorly of this A-B venture. While it was perhaps deceptively labeled, the bottle cap said A-B on it. It’s earthy and coppery with a nice active visual appeal to it. It’s not the best beer I’ve had, but it’s not the worst either.