overall

Style: Specialty Grain
Hazel Grove, Stockport, England
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 198   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
All natural dubbel dark ale
Ale made from millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum.
Green’s Ales DO NOT contain any of the following: Wheat and/or Barley, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame seeds, Sulphur dioxide and Sulfites.

michaelinwa (656) - Bothell, Washington, USA - DEC 6, 2013
Bottle. Pours dark, with an ample, lasting head. These GF beers always look like the real deal. Aroma is also very accurate for the style, hinting of sweeter malt. Flavor doesn’t meet the expectations based on looks and aroma, but it fits reasonably well in the style, though it would never be considered good for the style. But I found it to be enjoyable, and totally felt like I was drinking real beer. I actually have been impressed with the three GF beers from this brewer that I’ve tried. Well, done, and glad it’s available.

pintbypint (3642) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 17, 2007
500ml brown bottle. Pours dark brown with ruby highlights, the head reduces to a small tan swirl. Aroma has notes of wine and cherries. Flavour has fruity notes as well, again cherries stand out, light honey and also a bit of nuttiness. Some noticable alcohol and some slight sourness. Some roasty like iron notes in the finish. Medium body, active carbonation. Interesting beer but not really what I think of when I think dubbel. I hated it initally, but it grew on me after my first glass.

tarjei (1954) - Bryne, NORWAY - JAN 18, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2009 330 ml bottle. Dark brown/reddish color. Very nice tan head. Aroma is dried fruits, almost red wine (maybe it´s alcohol). Flavor is sweet malt, sweetness from sugar, but also citric/fruity and some sourness. Reminds me of red wine. Sweet finish with moderate bitterness. I will try this with some food.

mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 25, 2008
Pours a deep near-black amber with a full head of big bubbles & lacing. Aroma is of apples, iron, antiseptic. Taste is pleasant if completely taken out of context. Green apple, light caramel, lots of alcohol. Tastes like a more interesting "cooler" than normally available, or a mass-produced dark apple cider. Nothing remotely resembling a dubbel, but I’m willing to forgive that. Lots of carbonation, and reasonably full-bodied. Again, completely out-of-context, this is a drinkable beverage, but not an abbey dubbel as I know it.

Cybercat (5841) - Georgia, USA - APR 22, 2008
Thought it would be appropriate to review this beer on Earth Day. Aroma is fruity and more like a brandy than a beer. Pours a nice dark translucent brown with a beige head that is thick but does not stick around for long. Flavor is rather like brandy or cider, very apply, not like a beer at all but still tasty. Texture is exceptionally smooth. This hardly seems like a beer at all, but that is not necessarily a bad thing!

hotstuff (5160) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 28, 2008
Bottle with a best before date of 05/04/09. Large frothy, very fizzy tan head that mostly diminished, good amount of lacing, hazy, fast rising carbonation, and a brown hue with a red tint. The aroma consisted of malt, caramel, sweet, and dark fruits. The flavor was malt, dark fruits, caramel, and hints of spices. Slightly tingly mouthfeel and medium bodied. Easy to drink, but definitely not one of the better beers of this style that I have rated or enjoyed.

dyetube (1378) - Hurst, Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2008
This beer pours black with a thick tan head leaving some good lacing down the sides. The nose is spices and malt. The flavor is a little to lively for a dubble if you ask me, although I kinda like it. Not really that bad when you consider this is brewed with no malt and no wheat. Cheers!

Beerdrinker79 (2188) - Idaho, USA - JAN 23, 2010
16.9 oz. bottle- Pours black with a decent head that dissipates immediately, the aroma is brown sugar and whiskey, not bad. The flavor is better than expected although not great. The only other gluten free beer i’ve had is Redbridge so this is excellent compared. The flavor is bubbly like Champagne, weird and somewhat drinkable. Next up, Green’s Quest Tripel.

doublebock (558) - California, USA - APR 6, 2012
So this was my first Gluten free beer and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Its certainly unfair to compare this versus other true Belgian dubbels or other dark true beers. Comparing it versus Redbridge would be a better way to rank this. With that caveat, lets get into it. Pours dark brown with a thick creme colored head. Toasted malt aroma with vinaigrette dressing notes. Flavor of molasses and raisins and red wine.

ttoadee (1492) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2016
Dark amber pour, decent tan head. Nose is dark fruit. Sweet. Middle suggests cherry cola, hint of herbs. I could get used to this if I had too, but I do not right now.