overall
Brewed by Grolsche Bierbrouwerij Ned. (Asahi)
Style: Pale Lager
Boekelo, Netherlands

RATINGS: 2020   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Filtered and force-carbonated.
Premium Lager / Pilsner Since 1615
Ingredients: Water, Malted barley, Hops
The companys best selling lager.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fixer808 (10) - British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 24, 2003
Very good lager. My high-volume lager of choice (for those long drinking nights)is Becks, but Grolsch comes a close second. Very pleasant right away with a fairly clean finish. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2003
I've had several homebrews from a Grolsch bottle, I figured it was time I had the real thing. Reading the other reviews of this beer I can't help but to wonder if I didn't just happen to find an exceptional bottle. There was nothing skunky about it. I'm not a lager fan, but this was one of the best lagers I've had. There's nothing really exceptional about this beer but I found it to be a good example of what a good lager should be all the way down the line. The best way I can describe this beer is that it's like a Moretti but smoother.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
coasterfreak75 (6) - williamsburg, Kentucky, USA - DEC 18, 2003 does not count
To me this is a good example of the style. The lack of good aroma bothers me but the bitterness is just right.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Trogdor (197) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2003
overrated, heavily bittered from memory but no complexity or subtleness, the bottle is the best bit about this beer IMO.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
haddon90 (1630) - Newport Beach, California, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Bottle at the Beer Sellar in Knoxville, TN. Deep yellow pour with a white head. Malty aroma and taste. Reminded me of a Heineken. Pretty average beer if you ask me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JorisPPattyn (9670) - Ursel, BELGIUM - DEC 7, 2003
(Draught) yellow-gold; dense, white head, lacey. Malty nose, but with an extra of smoked malt as from an Islay malt. Taste is again preponderant sweet-malty, but with a sturdy bitter edge. OK balance, but nothing refined. Light to medium filled, bit sticky aftertaste, the refreshing has to come from pouring it at glacial temperatures. As said, don't search for refinement here. Very average pilsener. And on draught, the yuppy image of the flip-top isn't even there...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 28, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2004 You have to pour this heavy, to get any head at all. Typical Euro-Lager. Skunky taste, but very drinkable at 5%. It is what it is.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 25, 2003
Poured a nice golden yellow.Nice lasting head,A little skunky.Good mouthfeel,light body,a bitter aftertaste though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 18, 2003
Well, it's kinda skunky, really. The bottle is great...but the beer itself is rather nasty. Won't be drinking this again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - NOV 17, 2003
I can't believe I used to find this to be a pretty good beer. Not the only beer that effects me so recently, but it's just so flavourless. Pour it vigorously and the head is huge, but not lasting. Light in colour and uninteresting and little smell, mostly fresh hay I think. The taste is simply light. Not inoffensive by any means but so uninteresting and dull. Not worth wasting more words on this.