overall
Brewed by Grolsche Bierbrouwerij Ned. (Asahi)
Style: Pale Lager
Boekelo, Netherlands

RATINGS: 2063   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Filtered and force-carbonated.
Premium Lager / Pilsner Since 1615
Ingredients: Water, Malted barley, Hops
The company’s best selling lager.

Turtboy (120) - Lucasville, Ohio, USA - JAN 3, 2004
This smeels like a skunk...not a skunky beer, but an actual skunk.....like a very pissed skunk. However, it has a great taste.

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 1, 2004
Somewhat disappointing contents to a cool bottle. Had an okay tartness to it and was fairly clean and refreshing at first but then seemed almost skunky in its aftertaste.

Braudog (6669) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - JAN 1, 2004
US import version ... Corn-skunky aroma on a big-topped golden beer. Tangy starch flavors not unlike a lot of 'green-bottle' imports. Much better in its home area, but this isn't too bad.

Fixer808 (10) - British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 24, 2003
Very good lager. My high-volume lager of choice (for those long drinking nights)is Becks, but Grolsch comes a close second. Very pleasant right away with a fairly clean finish. Nice.

Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2003
I've had several homebrews from a Grolsch bottle, I figured it was time I had the real thing. Reading the other reviews of this beer I can't help but to wonder if I didn't just happen to find an exceptional bottle. There was nothing skunky about it. I'm not a lager fan, but this was one of the best lagers I've had. There's nothing really exceptional about this beer but I found it to be a good example of what a good lager should be all the way down the line. The best way I can describe this beer is that it's like a Moretti but smoother.

coasterfreak75 (6) - williamsburg, Kentucky, USA - DEC 18, 2003 does not count
To me this is a good example of the style. The lack of good aroma bothers me but the bitterness is just right.

1.3
Trogdor (197) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2003
overrated, heavily bittered from memory but no complexity or subtleness, the bottle is the best bit about this beer IMO.

haddon90 (1634) - Newport Beach, California, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Bottle at the Beer Sellar in Knoxville, TN. Deep yellow pour with a white head. Malty aroma and taste. Reminded me of a Heineken. Pretty average beer if you ask me.

JorisPPattyn (9927) - Ursel, BELGIUM - DEC 7, 2003
(Draught) yellow-gold; dense, white head, lacey. Malty nose, but with an extra of smoked malt as from an Islay malt. Taste is again preponderant sweet-malty, but with a sturdy bitter edge. OK balance, but nothing refined. Light to medium filled, bit sticky aftertaste, the refreshing has to come from pouring it at glacial temperatures. As said, don't search for refinement here. Very average pilsener. And on draught, the yuppy image of the flip-top isn't even there...

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 28, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2004 You have to pour this heavy, to get any head at all. Typical Euro-Lager. Skunky taste, but very drinkable at 5%. It is what it is.