overall
Brewed by Gubernija
Style: Malt Liquor
Šiauliai, Lithuania

RATINGS: 111   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.12/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
“Grand miežių” beer (9,5%) is a very strong sort of lager beer, produced according to the old Lithuanian traditions using an especially high quality light barley malt, best bitter and aromatic hops, clear water, with a bit of corn to make the aromatic spectrum of beer original and unique.

1.1
Frank (4194) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 23, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2010 9.5% ABV beer from Lithuania? Now that’s what I call a good time. There is really no end to the punishment I am willing to inflict upon myself for learning a bit more about beer so when I saw this can on the shelf of my friendly neighborhood liquor store, I knew I had to have it. I am not sure how long it was sitting there--and I assure you I do not blame other customers for not wanting to buy this--but my example seemed a bit long in the tooth, more specifically infected. It is alarmingly cloudy when poured into the glass. The head is small and, well, who cares what the head looks like when the beer is alarmingly cloudy. Nose is sweet bubble gum malts with sort of an overripe fruity overtone (and overripe is the nice way to put it). This doesn’t burn as much as I’d expect--indeed, I have had very fine Belgians that burn a good deal more--but it doesn’t taste good either. It’s sort of vaguely fruity, a bit tart, grainy and weird. It is not overtly foul but it has this sort of nauseating syrupy consistency that ruins pretty much any goodness that might be there. This is really something I think everyone should try. It is a remarkably bad beer.

SanfordBrewer (1576) - Sanford, Florida, USA - DEC 18, 2009
(gn-btl gl-lbl, Gubernija brewery in Shaulay, 1786. "strong", 9.5%)

cp-lct, bitter-hop aroma, §head, §co2, med body, hoppy warm T1 bitter T2 §bittter fruity T3, §light-struck.

Rusty (1547) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - NOV 14, 2009
Pours a golden color with a white head. Aroma is corn malt fruit and a touch of hops. Flavor is fruit sweetness corn malt and a touch of metal and hops.

jb (3253) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 9, 2009
Shared can from Ron, thanks! Sharp nose. Couldn’t identify the sharpness. Interesting palate, sweet, sugary, a bit out of balance. Full bodied. Unusual for a malt liquor in that it wasn’t a pure burner. Not bad.

Ron (3962) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 8, 2009
Clear golden yellow color with No head and thin lace around the edge of the glass. Sweet aroma, wouldn’t call it malty I would call it corn syrup. Flavor is sweet and alcoholic of course. Got this only to rate a Lithuanian beer. Not good.

dkoonce (911) - People’s Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2009
Labeled Zhiguly Grande. Bottle. Pours a deep gold, with a modest white head. Very heavy and sweet, with a smoothness that belies it’s proof. For a malt liquor, it’s pretty good.

FatPhil (16102) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - AUG 2, 2009
1l bottle (SOPP2009)
Sweet malty aroma, sickly sourness too. Same in the body as well. Covers the 9.5% very well. Sickly sweet, but very tempting.

zvikar (6172) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - JUL 20, 2009
Golden clear with a small white head, aroma of fruits sugar and candy,flavor of sweet fruit juice can say exactly what kind of fruit, some pleasant bitterness along the way, body is medium to low, I guess it is the best malt liquor I have tasted so far, but this kind of style is not for me.

1.1
VertBaconStrips (2389) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JUN 26, 2009
Total crap! The big foamy white crown on a hard pour dies rather quickly as does my enthusiasm for actually continuing drinking this, bright gold with some unfiltered stuff (not much), slow moving bubbles. The odor is chalk, oddly sweet apple, grass, candy and pee. Taste borders between pretty undrinkable and totally undrinkable. Actually, it tastes just like the description at the top of the page looks. Odd. Metallic, bad apple, grass, alcohol, cardboard. Thick and viscous, bad after taste. I seriously had a headache instantly. I’m going to go and throw this beer at a bum.

tomer (3521) - Rishon Le Zion, ISRAEL - JUN 19, 2009
Can, clear deep golden colour, aroma pf candied fruis and traces of corn, flavour of sugar with hints of tropical fruits. strong repulsive blend of sweetness and alcohol which shows quite strongly, really bad.