overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4786   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed - Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 16, 2005
On daught at Claddagh Irish Pub. Served cold and under nitrogen. Beautiful pour, huge frothy head with a cute design added. No aroma...none. Very little taste. Creamy. Very drinkable, but nothing for flavor. I’ll take it in the bottle any day. The can is even better. Sorta like a bombshell date that has nothing between the ears.

csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 15, 2005
11.2oz bottle. This fizzed up when I opened and might have taken most of the carbonation with it. Poured in my Guinness pint glass my wife got me at the brewery in Ireland. Poured black with a really minimal head. Started at 40°, ended at 48°. Aroma is sweet roasted malt, with some coffee notes and some sourness. Taste is the same, roasted sweet malt, some underlying sourness and saltiness? A bit of coffee. Mouthfeel was watery. Roasty finish. Probably a beer to only get on tap with the nitro. A subpar stout, with basic flavors. I will also say that I am not a big fan of dry stouts.

johnyvt (158) - West Hollywood, California, USA - JAN 14, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Beatuiful looking when it’s poured. Looks thicker than it actually goes down. Not much distinction in taste, mostly just creamy chocolate/vanilla with a little coffee. Lacks the roasted malt or hops profile of a good stout. Nevertheless, for a macro this isn’t bad by a long shot.

CanDave (3) - CANADA - JAN 14, 2005 does not count
Who needs food when you can have a Guinness? It isn’t the best beer I’ve ever had, but it is the best one I can get anywhere I go.

Diode (7) - USA - JAN 12, 2005 does not count
Before I knew other beers existed, Guinness was indeed my "nectar of gods". It still is my favorite freely-available beer in the Northeastern US. It is a dinner stout if there ever was one. I’ve given it a nickname -- "the beer that drinks like a meal". Long live Guinness.

cazort (568) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: APR 28, 2007 For all the talk, this beer is not very good. Heavy and smooth, it is quite filling, but it has almost no flavour. I guess beers like this have an appeal to people who want something substantial yet do not enjoy bitterness and strong flavours.

brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - JAN 12, 2005
I’ve heard it referred to as, "The nectar of the Gods". I won’t disagree. Truly one of the most delicious drinks ever created by man. The thick creamy head is the measuring stick for all other beers. It lasts the whole way down providing that slight creamy taste and feel cutting the tasty cocoa-like flavor. The best glass i’ve ever had was at this little Irish owned / operated pub called "The Claddagh", in Gilroy, CA. The owner suggested to me that the trick was to clean the keg lines every night with soda water. If you can’t get it on tap, I would suggest the can over the bottle.

atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - JAN 9, 2005
Nearly opaque with some dark brown at the bottom and a creamy tan head. Roasted malt and a bit of a coffee aroma with some mild hopps. Fairly simplistic stout aroma. Smooth and creamy with roasted coffee falvors and malts and a dry finish, but fairly thin and almost a bit wattery.

PrimeMinister (138) - Quebec, CANADA - JAN 4, 2005
500ml can - The body seemed rather thin for a guinness: not as opaque as my souvenir and a very small head. The beer smelled good though. Just as a first sip which immediately brought the comforting creamy texture. I found that there was a disappointing chemical feel to this beer. Was it caused by the nitro and carbon dioxide? I don’t know. Still, the beer poured a light coffee aftertaste that lasted reasonably well.

AAO (102) - Næstved, DENMARK - JAN 4, 2005
My first Guinness, tastet in Dublin at the Guinness-brewery. Pint. Very nice dark nearly black color, tasty creamy head. Weak aroma barley and malt. Taste is a bit flat but a nice malthy finish. Good stout!