overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5270   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

nhewitt (7) - Kelowna, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 3, 2004 does not count
Extremely overrated stout with the yuppie nitro-caps packaged in the tall cans, but on the other hand very reliable when the taps read: "bud light, bud, mgd, guinness" (or something). Frankly a lotta pubs have bad selection and if you just want a half-decent beer and arenít there to get hammered, guinness can be a good choice :) Itís a good beer to start on and progress from into the better ones, but otherwise nothing to write home about.

Odeed (1803) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 3, 2004
ya know this is a really damn good stout.especially off the tap.very smooth and easy drinking.when all else fails.hit the guinness.

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2006 poured off a nitro tap with a pitch black body and a silky smooth white head. Nice subtle chocolate coffee aroma. Taste is incredibly smooth, like silk going down, well balance, with some great chocolate finish. A perfectly simple stout.

brberry (16) - USA - OCT 1, 2004
Wonderful cascading head, deep malty taste, great earthy aroma. One of my favorite stouts out there.

aweb (11) - USA - SEP 30, 2004
One of the yummiest beers out there. This beer is smoother than Don Johnson. My local bartender can even draw a pair of tits with the foam when he tops off my beer.

GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 29, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2004 oh the sweet joy as this touched my lips. i love it. i love licking that thick foamy head from my lips. yum. this beer makes me say yummm.

teebradford (51) - Senatobia, Mississippi, USA - SEP 27, 2004
What can I say that hasnít already been said about Guinness? The first time I had it I had already had about three glasses of Sam Adams on tap. The bartender suggested I try it. I had been really enjoying that Sam Adams, but that first drink of Guinness....My life hasnít been the same since. I first thing I noticed was there were hardly any bubbles, it didnít fill me up the way other beers did! And that wonderful foamy head! I tell you, there is nothing in the world like a perfect glass of Guiness. Some establishments who serve it on tap are more anal than others, and when you start drinking it youíll notice the difference. Although Iíve moved on to other brews, I still hold this in high regard and always will.

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - SEP 26, 2004
Everyone knows what Guinness looks like and tastes like. Overall itís decent.

Barleyman (6) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2004 does not count
A brilliant piece of work by Arthur Guinness, this Dry Stout is a true pleasure to drink. The complex blend of chocolate and coffee flavors and the lingering bitter aftertaste and the visual aspect of the cascading effect are not to be missed. (Tasted from draught can and draft.)

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - SEP 20, 2004
Iíve heard that its better in Europe. Well, I live here in the US of A and all I can say is that, after having many beers, this is like light beer. Its smooth and frothy, but light as well. A good bar used to be measured if it had Guinness, now its if Guinness is the most common beer available. Its all about rarities and Imperials.