overall
Brewed by St. James's Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4814   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed - Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

Juz (13) - AUSTRALIA - JAN 17, 2005
I know i’m gonna get howled down in a cacophony of indignation, but what is so impressive about this beer? It might be more the image than anything else..hell even I visited the Guinness factory when in Dublin. I just can’t drink this beer, the flavour for me is simply unpalatable. Sorry!

mtk539 (8) - USA - JAN 17, 2005 does not count
Best on draft when perfect. Taste off at few bars. Still wonderful from bottel. I see no difference in product between us and ireland. Very rich in flavor with great roate taste. The fact that it can found almost any where, makes a great beer of choice.

Arayaga2 (2224) - portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 17, 2005
Irish Budweiser... and it tastes like rinse water from a cast-iron pan. What’s everyone getting so excited about???

mookie (45) - Tacoland, Texas, USA - JAN 17, 2005
The nitrogen really gives this one bragging rights. I miss the 5% abv version of this beer, no longer produced for Texas, however the 4.2% avb version is so great. Dry mellow creamy roasted barley lingers with a gentle bitterness and a slight sourness. Rich, yet not at all heavy, I find it easy to plow through a few or more pints. Ever consistant. A pint for breakfast instead of a cup of coffee is a great way to start the day.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 16, 2005
On daught at Claddagh Irish Pub. Served cold and under nitrogen. Beautiful pour, huge frothy head with a cute design added. No aroma...none. Very little taste. Creamy. Very drinkable, but nothing for flavor. I’ll take it in the bottle any day. The can is even better. Sorta like a bombshell date that has nothing between the ears.

csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 15, 2005
11.2oz bottle. This fizzed up when I opened and might have taken most of the carbonation with it. Poured in my Guinness pint glass my wife got me at the brewery in Ireland. Poured black with a really minimal head. Started at 40°, ended at 48°. Aroma is sweet roasted malt, with some coffee notes and some sourness. Taste is the same, roasted sweet malt, some underlying sourness and saltiness? A bit of coffee. Mouthfeel was watery. Roasty finish. Probably a beer to only get on tap with the nitro. A subpar stout, with basic flavors. I will also say that I am not a big fan of dry stouts.

johnyvt (158) - West Hollywood, California, USA - JAN 14, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Beatuiful looking when it’s poured. Looks thicker than it actually goes down. Not much distinction in taste, mostly just creamy chocolate/vanilla with a little coffee. Lacks the roasted malt or hops profile of a good stout. Nevertheless, for a macro this isn’t bad by a long shot.

CanDave (3) - CANADA - JAN 14, 2005 does not count
Who needs food when you can have a Guinness? It isn’t the best beer I’ve ever had, but it is the best one I can get anywhere I go.

Diode (7) - USA - JAN 12, 2005 does not count
Before I knew other beers existed, Guinness was indeed my "nectar of gods". It still is my favorite freely-available beer in the Northeastern US. It is a dinner stout if there ever was one. I’ve given it a nickname -- "the beer that drinks like a meal". Long live Guinness.

cazort (568) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: APR 28, 2007 For all the talk, this beer is not very good. Heavy and smooth, it is quite filling, but it has almost no flavour. I guess beers like this have an appeal to people who want something substantial yet do not enjoy bitterness and strong flavours.