overall
Brewed by St. James's Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4812   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed - Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

Palace536 (8) - Waterford, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2004 does not count
This is my absolute favorite beer. Extreemly full body, with a creamy texture and a soft carbonation. Just be aware if the bar doesn’t clean the taps on a regular basis the beer won’t taste as good.

CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 27, 2004
For a long time, this was my beer of choice. It’s still a great standby, but I’m really into hoppy pale ales right now. Great coffee cocoa taste. Still has to be about the best looking pint out there. Rich and creamy in your mouth. Only bother with the cans if there is no other alternative.

smasbeer (6) - Lees Summit, Missouri, USA - OCT 26, 2004 does not count
Tastes like dirty beer burned. I did not care for this one. No carbonation.

Dachaz (6) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - OCT 24, 2004 does not count
The beer you hear about in the legends of the old beer-drinkers... Before I had the pleasure of tasting it, it was the only beer that couldn’t be found in Belgrade that EVERYONE hailed. Later I understood why. Milky/creamy head, with great black body; fantastic herbal smell and a taste you’ll never forget. IMHO, everyone should treat himself with a pint of Guinnes, at least once a month. After drinking this, you will not have the same view on beers any more.

mpurdy (9) - Energy, Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2004 does not count
I really wish I could find this on tap to compare with the cans that I’m drinking this out of now. More of a ’burned’ taste than other beers... Bearable, but not my first choice of fine beers.

MaltMaiden (10) - USA - OCT 22, 2004
I’m rating the pint of Guinness I had, of all places, at Epcot at Walt Disney World. I believe it was on draft. I usually expect a certain harshness in my Guinness, and don’t really enjoy it till the second (or third). This pint had all the good roasty burnt flavors and strong hop, and was like velvet on my tongue. Yummy.

interstate604 (5) - USA - OCT 20, 2004 does not count
I’d love to try this outside of the bottle, as a previous reviewer states the nitrogen widget seems to make this one flat. I couldn’t agree more. While the beer has an excellent color, nice aroma, and very nice taste, the complete and utter lack of carbonation makes the experience akin to flat soda that’s been sitting in the fridge for days. It’s almost nauseating. I’ve got 3 bottles in the back of my fridge for when friends come over; I can no longer drink this.

badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2005 i liked this guinness better than the Extra Stout one...a beautiful pour...nice flat creamy palate...creamy head...a mocha chocolate flavor....nothing special here but a good beer nonetheless

Hunsell (403) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - OCT 16, 2004
Well, hard to make a decision about this,because the quality of this stuff varies enormously from bar to bar, from city to city, from country to country. The first Guinness I had was in Amsterdam. It was dreadful. Extremely bitter. It was so bitter that I hardly tasted anything else.. But I visited Dublin this year, and Guinness here is great, although quality, again, differs a lot. A good Guinness, in my opinion, is not too bitter, but fresh, a bit sweet, and VERY creamy. The head lasts almost eternal and is very creamy. Very enjoyable when served well!

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 14, 2004
Pouring the contents of this unique, innovative bottle creates the mythical creamy head and the magical flowing cascade, so favored in the pubs. Or is it just a cheap imitation? Aroma nicely hints at coffee and cream, and a touch of chocolate, rich and luscious. Small amounts of bitterness,but exceptionally smooth on the tongue. Light body, thin texture, and far too soft for my taste. It took me a while to understand the supreme appeal of Draught Guinness, for the Extra Stout was my bottle of choice in early days. I did a taste test between the two, and ultimately found that the draught version resembles a chocolate milkshake, or a mocha latte. It’s for people who want to go beyond fizzy lagers and such, but don’t really want to approach the bold flavors and bitterness in a true stout or porter.