overall
Brewed by St. James's Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4814   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed - Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 29, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2004 oh the sweet joy as this touched my lips. i love it. i love licking that thick foamy head from my lips. yum. this beer makes me say yummm.

teebradford (51) - Senatobia, Mississippi, USA - SEP 27, 2004
What can I say that hasn’t already been said about Guinness? The first time I had it I had already had about three glasses of Sam Adams on tap. The bartender suggested I try it. I had been really enjoying that Sam Adams, but that first drink of Guinness....My life hasn’t been the same since. I first thing I noticed was there were hardly any bubbles, it didn’t fill me up the way other beers did! And that wonderful foamy head! I tell you, there is nothing in the world like a perfect glass of Guiness. Some establishments who serve it on tap are more anal than others, and when you start drinking it you’ll notice the difference. Although I’ve moved on to other brews, I still hold this in high regard and always will.

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - SEP 26, 2004
Everyone knows what Guinness looks like and tastes like. Overall it’s decent.

Barleyman (6) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2004 does not count
A brilliant piece of work by Arthur Guinness, this Dry Stout is a true pleasure to drink. The complex blend of chocolate and coffee flavors and the lingering bitter aftertaste and the visual aspect of the cascading effect are not to be missed. (Tasted from draught can and draft.)

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - SEP 20, 2004
I’ve heard that its better in Europe. Well, I live here in the US of A and all I can say is that, after having many beers, this is like light beer. Its smooth and frothy, but light as well. A good bar used to be measured if it had Guinness, now its if Guinness is the most common beer available. Its all about rarities and Imperials.

seeknay36 (111) - DC, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2004
There is no point in wasting everyone’s time in describing one of the most popular beers in the world. I must say that Guinness bought in Europe is uncomparable to the stuff we have in the states. If there is a line of cream after each sip, you know you got a good Guinness.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 20, 2004
Guinness is Guinness. And the draught (if bought in can or bottle) has a little nitrogen booster that makes it like its straight out of the keg, which is nice. Guinness is a good beer and a good stout but I think so many people think its like some perfect stout because its really the only they’ve had.

Marko (6285) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - SEP 17, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2005 Nitrocan Version (4.2%):
I had a feeling that my Guinness Draught is rated too high, compared to, say, Extra Stout, so I decided to drink it from a nitrocan, just to make a more realistic rating. The appearance is great of course, pitch black, very creamy white-going-tan head. Ok. The nose just isn’t there, subdued caramel tinged with alcohol maybe. The taste.... smooth, watery, far more bearable than Killkenny draught. It’s frighteningly similar though. A bit of bad soury fruitiness, that probably comes from the nitrogen infestation of a once bearable stout, overroasted malt background. The bitterness here doesn’t come from hops as far as I can taste. The aftertaste is a nitrogen void, with some remaining bitterness on the part of the tongue nearest to the throat. Why do they do this ? On tap, this was really nice, now, it’s a pale (ok, black, heh) shadow of its former self. As nitrocan stouts go, better than Beamish, worse than Murphy’s.
4/5/4/2/8

Draught version:
Draught at an irish pub in Lloret Del Mar, Spain. It certainly looked magnificent in the glass. The head was small, but quite thick, smooth, and almost creamy, it also stayed till the end. The taste was strong, a bit coffeeish (certainly not too much). It was all in all, a very good stout.
7/5/7/3/16

imradioboy (23) - USA - SEP 15, 2004
Everybody knows, and most love this beer. I’m not going to waste time telling you about how it pours dark, or has a great head. What is odd is that I initally disliked this beer; then one day began enjoying it, a lot. Plus it’s available everywhere.

KUEric (979) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - SEP 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2006 Amazingly smooth for its very dark color. It is darker than even most ports. But the taste is wonderful for the strong appearence it puts forth. The old slogan "good things come to those who wait" is very true. The head/foam process is a beatiful thing to watch. The sole reason I give the appearance a 5, the bubbles go down. And the taste has mild notes of both coffee, but more so chocolate. It is a very good stout, and I dont particularly care for stouts. Of course the more I drink craft beers, the lighter it seems to become, but at the storehouse in Ireland its a much better beer.