overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5186   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Pours ebony with a tint of blood red when held in light. Smooth, creamy, and beautiful when it cascades. Very smooth, sort of bland taste, that makes it very drinkable. I tasted this beer in comparison to the extra stout, and I enjoyed this one a lot more. A nice mellow stout and a treat for the palate.

punkeedo (498) - Covington, Louisiana, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Ahh...a refreshing beer in comparison to other overwhelmingly bad or just plain strong beers today. Dark aroma, dark appearance, dark taste, but not overwhelming to the tastebuds. It caresses your mouth and leaves you feeling satisfied, not violated, much like Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. I'm still bitter about that stuff. Anyway, it's not really my favorite kind of beer, but I can appreciate it. My recommendation? Drink it very cold. I didn't like the effect of lukewarmness.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - MAR 27, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2005 Good beer. My first foray as a budding beer snob into real beer. Beautiful body and head. Malty and slightly bitter with hints of chocolate and coffee. Lots and lots of smoke flavors. Too thin.

mmmstout22 (24) - USA - MAR 26, 2004
The beer that introduced me to stout. No appearence more beautiful. It is not that complex, but it is creamy, smooth, and slightly roasted tasting. Will continue to drink over the other Irish stouts I've tried.

22ozBicepCurls (2) - Bend, Oregon, USA - MAR 25, 2004 does not count
One of my favorite all-time stouts. Thick and creamy glass of coffee colored richness. Great beer to complement a Quiznos sub

Bassy15 (60) - Cullowhee, North Carolina, USA - MAR 24, 2004
I can say this is one of my favorite beers, especially when it is the fall or winter seasons. It warms the body so well, dark color, light head, coffee after taste and just a great bitter taste. Love the widget too, just to hear it when you open a can at home is great.

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 24, 2004
probly had 100 of these over the past 15 years. this one was on tap. cutesy clover poured on the dense tan head. black, smooth, roasted malt flavor. dry and not sweet. good with a sandwich. also good with a scoop of coffee ice cream (a mudball)

jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2004 Great great great beer. Lacks complexity, but still one of the most unique beers I have been exposed to and holds a special place in my stomach. One of my favorites. The can stout version is much better than the bottle.

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - MAR 22, 2004
Widget Can. Roasty aroma with some creamy earthiness. Weak body with roasty bitterness. Suprisingly little complexity and lack of depth.

jaysoneslick (24) - Montana, USA - MAR 21, 2004
What can I say about Guinness? It's a great beer if you like 'em strong. Or if you're Irish!