overall
Brewed by St. Jamesís Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 5156   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed (Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site).
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
freekyp (2019) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 4, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2009 Iíll start by saying I am not a fan of Dry Stouts. Guiness has the best pour in the beer biz. The cascade and lace is second to none. I, however, have never been impressed by the flavor. Pop open a bottle of Ipswitch or Sierra Nevada any day over a Guinness. The creamy mouthfeel and luxurious appearance are what really stand out. The flavor is just average.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
OmEyeGuinness99 (5) - USA - NOV 3, 2002 does not count
Guinness has always been kind to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2002
One of my all-time favorites, old reliable. This beer is smooth and creamy, although I wonít drink it if itís not a draught can.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - NOV 2, 2002
Great looking beer, nice creamy head, good chocolatey flavor, and readily available most anywhere. Re-rate still a fine beer, but I have had many better stouts now, and must adjust my rating accordingly

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Keoni99 (5) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - NOV 1, 2002 does not count
I was extremely impressed with Guinness. I think of all the beers Iíve tried, it is definately my favorite thus far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Looks better than it tastes. Oh itís not bad or anything - I dunno, I think my expectations were too high. Better on tap I think.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Rhino (57) - USA - OCT 31, 2002

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
C5Drvr (18) - Tinton Falls, New Jersey, USA - OCT 30, 2002
UPDATED: APR 2, 2005

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
eczematic (1325) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - OCT 30, 2002
rerate, UK version, 10/2002: well whaddaya know, itís actually quite pleasant to drink over here when you get it at a good place. light, very coffeeish, and slightly hoppy - a reasonable porter i reckon. (original rating of austr. version - 29/12/02) Had some of this crap for the first time in ages last night - god itís cynical awful thin sour confected rubbish. And I hate shaving foam on my beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
madsberg (11612) - SÝborg, DENMARK - OCT 29, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2004 Draught: Rerate: When it's served properly, for me it's one of the greatest beers to look at. Has an almost black colour with a huge creamy chocolatehead. The aroma and flavour is slightly roasted and have notes of chocolate. A slightly bitter aftertaste, that last long. Still a great beer, but not as great as i used to think.
Original rate 4.6: It's difficult to imagine, that stout beer can be made better.