Brewed by St. James's Gate (Diageo)
Style: Dry Stout
Dublin, Ireland

RATINGS: 4840   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Nitro-can, nitro-keg and nitro-bottle; Filtered
Usually called Draught; sometimes called Cold or Extra Cold - same beer, but served colder. Abv ranges from 4.1 to 4.3 % depending on where it was brewed - Guinness exports a hopped and concentrated wort to regional breweries who then brew it on site.
Launched in 1961.
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, about 25 to 30% flaked barley, and about 10% roasted barley, with no other grains or sugars; several hop varieties, mainly Goldings (pellets and isomerized extract); a flocculent head-forming ale yeast.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2004 The head is thick and sweet. The body is sort of bitter. This reminds me more of black coffee than beer. I'm going to try a pub draft to compare...the widget pour from the can is pretty cool. *update: had Guiness on tap. Definitely a good stout. Even better on St. Patrick's day*

Shazbat (100) - USA - FEB 5, 2001
Excellent stuff, can be savored or downed like water. Second only to the Cadillac Mountain as far as stouts go.

mrwalker6699 (13) - USA - FEB 5, 2001
good rich taste,love it................................................

Strange Brew (157) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 5, 2001
From the pour to the drinking, it's a fine experience.......................

DJH-Bird99 (208) - Nijkerk, NETHERLANDS - FEB 4, 2001
Beer??? My ass, I don't know how to call this shit but it sure ain't beer. When I first tried this one it could just as simply be Irish coffee to me, or beer with cola and water but surely no beer. I feel sorry for all those Irish people when they get this in every bar and club. Altough it looks like I'm about the only with this opinion. I could only find 2 other ratings below 3. So no more Guinness for me.

Deimos (81) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JAN 31, 2001
Great appearance when it's first poured. Very smooth on the palate, but I don't like the nitrogenated. It tastes a little flat. Great head though. Good flavor but I slightly prefer the Extra Stout.

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JAN 15, 2001
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2003 This one I had at Mulligan's was really not up to my normal guinness standards, i was really watered down. As G Fox, or Greg F, after you've had the irish version the american can't stack it up. I agree, although i haven't had the irish version, the belgian version was so much better then the american. Even the contract brewed canadian guiness is superior.

opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - NOV 29, 2000
By far one of my favorite experiences since joining the rest of you on this rock called Earth. A damn good beer. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Smooth, rich, creamy, thick, roasty, and a head you can almost balance a dime on. (I tried, and I swear it paused for a moment or two before sinking through.) Try writing your initials in the head, I'll bet they're still there when you finish your beer!

Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - NOV 23, 2000
Ptor says that often people prefer coffee and dont prefer stouts.....I on the other hand approve of both coffee and stouts.

mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - OCT 25, 2000
The nitrogen pour is nice. Very similar to a draught pull. Creamy and silky smooth with a off-white durable head. Not as tasty however as the real thing off the tap. Seems a bit watery, lighter in flavor. Needs another shot of roasted barley or somethig.