overall
Brewed by Labatt Breweries (AB InBev)
Style: Dry Stout
London, Canada

RATINGS: 1772   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   IBU: 47   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Labatt’s brew a pale ale base to which is added the unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract. Guinness Extra Stout is brewed in Canada by Labatt under license from Arthur Guinness Son & Company. Editor’s Note: It looks like Moosehead is also brewing Guinness. Bottles in the US are from there of late, but Canadian bottles are still showing Labatt. 04/23/06

KevinReddirt (182) - Midland, Texas, USA - NOV 17, 2016
Flagship for stouts in my book. Certainly the first I ever had. Strong in most ways. Opens with a dark black appearance and a dark tan head that slowly leaves. Little carbonation. Unusual scent, sort of sweet, fruity and grainy. Heavy taste. Molasses. Raisins. I have moved on. Like the really strong, high alcohol content of the newer stouts I have recently tried. Actually I think Guinness is best as a black and tan. Now there you go.

ferguimara (14) - - NOV 10, 2016
Very dark with a finger white head, this beer radiates a soft scent true to its style. The taste is thin and not lasting but easy to down while also filling. Good beer overall.

JacksonCR (16) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - NOV 10, 2016
Pretty crappy beer tbh. No body and very little aroma. Dark dark color. Very heavy.

PugUglyBrewer (707) - - SEP 16, 2016
This was the first stout I remember trying when venturing out from, Coors Light, Blue Moon and Shock Top, Then it captured my attention like a slap in the face that beer could be this powerful in style. Now that I have traveresed an array of the dark beer spectrum I come back to Extra Stout with a bit of dissappointment. Just as Guinness is lauded for they make a glass look sexy. The appearance is rich dark brown in color with a soapy/sudsy tan head. Drinking on down the lacing on the class is genoursly coated. On the aroma I get a quick whiff of roasted malt that leads to a slight plum character. The taste adds more emphasis on an earthy and slightly plum flavor. The mouthfeel is a more medium bodied, denoting that it is low abv for the style. The finish is roasted malt, a bit of smoke and dries the palate without being harsh.

ADfan (870) - Orange County, California, USA - MAY 15, 2016
In the glass it is a chocolate brown with a large bread. Aroma has roasted malts and bitterness. Taste is pretty smooth with mild bitterness and some sweetness. I taste some roasted malts. Pretty good finish.

zubblwump (105) - Michigan, USA - MAY 12, 2016
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2016 Pours dark but thin with a large fizzy head. Smell is fairly faint but pleasant enough. Mouth feel is a little thicker than I expected from the pour, but still too watered down for a stout. Taste is not very strong, but smooth with a just a little bitterness. There are better stouts around, but I?d definitely drink this again.

Popoff91 (124) - Oregon, USA - APR 21, 2016
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2016 11.2-ounce bottles in a pint glass. Compared both this and Guinness Draught side-by-side. Compared to Draught, Guinness Extra Stout had a thicker head, and a deeper, richer roasted aroma and taste. While both are good, I do prefer the Extra Stout. A little heavy to drink with a large meal, but on its own it is one of my favorites. These particular bottles say it was brewed in Ireland, not Canada, although I have had both.

Dorkenstein (557) - - APR 18, 2016
Roasted malt aromas, some espresso too. Taste is roasted malt, cola, slight star anise, espresso finish and after taste.

polo_marco (332) - milton, Vermont, USA - APR 11, 2016
Nice roasted malts smell. Black in color. Taste of roasted barley and espresso coffee notes at the end that tend to linger. Full body and love the carbonation. Finally a guinness for me. Nice work.

Xevious (78) - Amarillo, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2016
Pours dark with a thick tan head. Smells of coffee, chocolate and nuts, bitter. Finishes medium with a bitter kick. Perfect for a cold day!