overall
Style: Foreign Stout
Lagos, Nigeria

RATINGS: 337   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Bottle: unpasteurised.
Ingredients: Malt (containing barley); Sorghum; Maize; Hops.
The basis is an unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract shipped from Dublin, which is added to local ingredients and brewed locally.

AtronSeige (1739) - Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA - JAN 5, 2014
Aroma: Cherry, dried fruit, dark malt, port, roasty, oak, perfume,
Appearance: Black with red hues. Light-brown rocky head. Lacy.
Flavour: Medium-high sweetness, astringent, light bitterness, fruity, oak, roasty, burnt, vinous,
Palate: Full body, creamy carbonation
Overall: Very nice!

325 ml bottle. Thanks Andre!
13D. Foreign Extra Stout

SilkTork (5884) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - MAR 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2005 March, 2003.Good yeasty nose like a Belgium beer. The initial impression is the deep smooth creaminess, then the fruits come through - very wet and juicy, packing a good raspberry punch. The salty bitterness follows - intensely tangy. This is nothing like the standard Guinness. I can see why the Nigerians in London don’t drink the London brewed Guinness. This is intense! [4.3]

Christmas Day, 2004: I bought a bottle for my son, and we shared it on Christmas Day. I have grown to love this beer. I have compared it to other versions of Guinness, and this always comes out on top. [4.4]

March, 2005 I don’t know if it is because of the sorghum or because the beer is unfiltered - so, effectively bottle-conditioned - but the Nigerian Guinness realy is one of the world’s most splendid beers. Dark bitter chocolate and bitter herbs in a soft sweet chocolate base. Refreshing red wine acidity. Everything and more. [4.8]

Stout4stout (31) - neath, WALES - APR 29, 2015
Very interesting stout!

I got talking to a Nigerian chap in the Tesco beer isle & he pointed me towards this style of Guinness which I’d never encountered before.

Extra Stout has a very big Flavour - it’s definitely not a subtle beer. It’s slightly more viscous than bottled Guinness Original.

7.5% alcohol volume compared to 4.2% volume of Guinness Original.

Appearance - think liquid Marmite.

The very bitter maltiness dominates with a tantalising hint of licorice, burnt coffee, dark bitter chocolate & molasses.

There is also a fruity hint a little like prune juice, (the Sorghum perhaps?)

I really didn’t know what to make of it on the first bottle, or the second, I really started warming to it by the 3rd and appreciating all the complex subtastes.

By the 4th bottle I was hooked.

I would love to try this as a draught!

Excellent job Guinness / Nigeria - this will take some beating.

iCraig (32) - Manchester, Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - APR 1, 2007
Bottle from tesco, 310307.

Pours with a a frothy head which quickly disipates. Aroma is almost chocolate/coffee. And the taste is rather surprising, to me it tastes like sultanas and dried fruit, very nice and not unpleasant.

I am assuming this beer was bottle conditioned too as it had sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

All in all probably one of the best stouts I’ve ever had, and what Guinness should be like!

OStreetBrewery (120) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 29, 2007
Pours a pitch black with a lovly natural tan head. Aroma features a massive creamy caramel milkshake character, confected and unique. On the palate there is a woody note, warm alcohol then bitter sweet caramel thats rich but is cut by a sharp dry finish that prevents it from being cloying, like spicy xmas pudding with brandy sauce. World class.

EFC1878 (315) - Manchester, Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - JUN 19, 2011
Bottle from Tesco. Very dark/black colour with lovely beige head. Complex aroma of coffee, vanilla and rich dried fruit. Taste is initially smooth with fruit tones then a superb long and bitter finish comes through. Very well balanced and a superb effort.

burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 28, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2003 This was the only beer that they served at a Nigerian bar I visited. I drank 2L of it. The ABV is a lot stronger in this version than the one you can get in the States.

REDBOSOX (80) - Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 31, 2008
I was absolutely stunned at how good this version of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout was! I’ve had the Irish, American, and Belgian versions of this. In my opinion, the Nigerian version is the best. I have a sweet tooth so I know everyone’s opinion will be different. Nevertheless, this is a version I HIGHLY recommend to everyone. This version is sweeter than the others yet still has that great Guinness taste that we all love.