overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Irish Ale
Dublin, Ireland
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 42   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.44/5   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%

Palidor19 (3193) - Brandon, Florida, USA - OCT 3, 2008
not much to say, it seem like a good idea at the time but it felt to tacked on, the malts were unevenful and the palate seemed thin. interesting but uninspiring.

suprchunk (2994) - Crestview, Florida, USA - OCT 25, 2011
Brown/red colored pour. Big white head. Of course it was nitro’d. A slight roasty aroma. Not much taste. Like a diluted real beer. Won’t be pursuing this one again.

wheresthepath (2374) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAY 16, 2008
[on tap in O’Neill’s, Reading] Unusually amongst the global brands, Guinness’ main product (which presumably will now be rebranded as "Guinness Black") is unique and rather special. I was therefore looking forward to tasting the new Guinness Red, despite my friends telling me to avoid it. Guinness Red, according to the friendly and surprisingly knowledgeable barman in O’Neills, has been created by roasting the barley more lightly than in the "Black". It pours an impressively deep ruby red, still with the signature thick, creamy Guinness head with a shamrock etched into it. It’s certainly designed with attractive appearance in mind. Unfortunately the brewery seems to have spent so much time making it look right that they have neglected the taste. I was quite shocked by the lack of any flavour at all in my first mouthful. It was smooth and creamy, yet weak and watery. It went down exceptionally easily as a result - I could easily sink several pints without it touching the sides! Drinking more of it did reveal tantalising glimpses of Guinness Black flavour if you really concentrated, and I picked up the slightest hint of maltiness. These are truly subtle flavours though! I was wondering what the point of this beer was, until a beer-hating friend of mine tasted it and said with some surprise "actually, this is alright. I could drink this". So there it is, this is a beer targetted at non-beer drinkers, which is a bit odd as they’re unlikely to try it in the first place. I can’t actually see this product surviving, as Guinness drinkers will still go for the black, whilst non-Guinness drinkers won’t buy it at all. Overall I was left feeling I hadn’t had a beer at all (there is also very little aftertaste), and wishing I’d heeded my friends’ advice.

Imaena (2328) - Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE - FEB 10, 2013
Draught. I got a pint of this when I was out with Drew in Evesham. Can’t recall which pub. Dreadful stuff really.

kwik-lime (2021) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 2, 2009
Bland and watery, just a paled down version of Guinness with a think and watery palate. Pointless.

dynamiteninja (1875) - Norfolk, ENGLAND - AUG 25, 2011
Keg draught, The Dry Dock, Leicester. Watered down Guinness. Appearance is just like regular Guinness although slightly lighter, with more red hue showing through. Watery bitterness. Okay, but I’d prefer a regular Guinness.

redders1974 (1578) - Greater Manchester, ENGLAND - JUN 16, 2015
Decent looking beer with the red hue tastes a little average and uninteresting drunk in an Irish pub in Cleethorpes not a patchon the original.

Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Nitro, Turf Tavern, Oxford RB Crawl. Perfect (in the sense that plastic roses are perfect) nitro head on tarnished copper pour. No aroma registers. Very light husky astringency to the flavor. Clean, but that’s about all that can be said for it.

reakt (950) - Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 18, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2007 Draught from O’ Neill’s. Dark amber/mahogany in colour topped with the trademark off white foam. Nose of roasted malt with a taste to match. Slightly sweet with underlying bitter hop and barley notes that shine through. Baking chocolate comes to mind. More watery than expected but enough creamy Guinness character to just about pull it off. I had two pints from the same pump only poured by two different people. The first was actually quite nice but the second, as mentioned by most, was tasteless and I think the glass was a bit grimey by the way the bubbles clung to it. Anyway, still a nice twist on a classic.

Deu (948) - Nantes, FRANCE - MAR 14, 2015
Bottle. Smells slightly creamy and sweet... and bit like cream cheese. Very porter-like. Cherry and slightly metallic. Decent, actually.