overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 1208   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Bavarian barley slow roasted, caramelized to a rich, red amber color combined with the purest spring waters from the Alps, exclusive yeast and the finest Hallertau hops.

JorisPPattyn (9928) - Ursel, BELGIUM - OCT 9, 2005
Orange-amber, clear beer; yellowish tinted head, fast gone. Very subdued nose, some malt sugars. Water-sodden bread. Sweet-bready, and especially malty taste, finish being a bit drier, hinting at hops, slightly metallic. Strangely, exactly as in the just tasted Octoberfest (Sam Adams), I get a metallic MF, though not typical copper this time (and I’m NOT on antibiotics!). Medium bodied at best. Aftertaste returns to more sweetness. Not very exciting, really. Is this Heineken’s accountants’ doing, or just global superficialisation - or is that saying the same thing twice?

chriso (7533) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 16, 2005
Bottle at St Albans Beer Festival 2005. Attractive burnished bronze colour. I found this to be drier and less malty than the norm for this style and, consequently, relatively crisp and easy drinking. I’m not really a big fan of heavily malty lagers, so I actually enjoyed this more than I would have had it been more strictly to style.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 17, 2005
light brown color rocky white head. Very light aroma slightly sweet hardly there. Palate is carbonated and well coated. Some light bitter grass and a nice carmel malt flavor w/ hints of honey and citrus. Ok stuff.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - APR 28, 2006
"not sure why this is so highly rated, kind of ho hum for me. Poued a nice amber color with a nice head to it. Aroma was carmel malts. Flavor was fmalty and raosted flavor a grass after taste to it which i didn’t expect. Mouthfeel was okay refreshing but flavor killded this one.

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Amber in appearance, very minimal head. Aroma and flavor have plenty of toasted malt and caramel. Getting a really strong fruit character out of this, quite the turn-off. Finishes sort of metallic, with residuel sugars. Just average at best.

jlf278 (288) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - OCT 4, 2006
A well balanced brew great for drinking en masse. I couldn’t find much to love about this beer. I was expecting more caramelized barley flavor. I would surely pick up a case for a party in a pinch, or maybe even once a year to cleanse my beer palate.

anders37 (26194) - Malmö, SWEDEN - OCT 19, 2006
Draught. Pours a reddish amber colour with a small white head. Sweet malty aroma with some bready hints. Sweet malty bready flavor, with some hints of caramel. Malty finish with some bitterness.

surf1284 (91) - USA - DEC 3, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2006 If anything this beer should have had more hops. It was a little weak to me. It was a dark orange with a brown head. Most prevalent taste is the roasted malts you taste at the end.

Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - MAR 17, 2007
Like a recent reviewer I picked this sample bottle up labled as an "original oktoberfest’. Date on the lalel shows August of ’05 and I just drank it March of ’07 and it doesn’t seem any the worse for wear. I agree with other reviewers that aroma and appearance outweight the rather thin taste and slighty too bitter finish for this style of beer..still, I’ve had far worse.

dwyerpg (6062) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 4, 2007
Mostly this seemed a bit flat. The flavor was a little too malty and it just didn’t have any crispness. Of course, it’s hard to say how it was handled, but it didn’t impress too much.