overall
RATINGS: 891   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Blue Dot is named after our planet: we are only a pale blue dot in this universe. A Double India Pale Ale made with Organic Pilsner, Rye malt and a combination of intense northwest hop varieties.
O.G. 1074, 80 IBUs.

Bill Becker (1916) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 7, 2017
From Jul 2008

Spring 2008

A nice hazy to cloudy light orange colour, the foam is almost non existant but it does leave some lacing on the side of my glass.

Big hoppy nose with grapefruit and some pine and there's some sweetness here as well. Could be fruit, could be caramel.

The taste is strange but good. There's an earthy malt flavour along with some grapefruit, tangerine, and pine that adds some bitterness but overall, the taste is far from bitter. I'd say the earthiness takes center stage.

It has a medium mouthfeel, the carbonation is light to just below medium, and it finishes with just a touch of piney bitterness. No hop bomb here and no malt bomb either. It's very smooth drinking... and very balanced but in a way different to the many others that I've tried of the style. And with it being in the low range abv-wise for a DIPA, I find it's pretty darned drinkable.

I think that if I wanted to introduce a DIPA to a beer drinker who's just starting to explore the world of Microbrews, this would be the one. Good solid but not overpowering flavours that are nicely balanced and make for a pleasurable drinking session. I like what HOTD did here. I like it a lot.

Desverger (13204) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 5, 2017
[email protected] Extravaganza 2017, London -pours orange amber with a white head. Comprises sweet tropical fruits, prominent grapefruit, tangerine, citrus peel, with good malty backbone, caramel, toffee, resinous hoppy, pine needles, bitter finish.

andrewje41 (4419) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - OCT 25, 2017
22 oz bottle poured. As I pour this, and enjoy the first few sips, I wonder why I haven't rated this yet, but the more I think about it, this might be the only time I've ever had the original Blue Dot. Not the freshest bottle in the world, so I'll be sure to get more notes on a fresher bottle, but this is still drinking nicely. Thicker, glowing golden orange pour. Very little head. A very bready malt constant with this imperial. No signature, standout hop quality here, at least opposed to the interesting malt bill. A quiet, but lingering bitterness. Last taste is a cracker grain. Overall, a smooth, flavorful, and original double IPA. Gonna get this on draft during my next visit to the brewery. I'd love to try this at peak freshness.

williamstome (2014) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 15, 2017
Gold pour, white head. Hazy, lightly hoppy aroma. Flavor of toasted malt, and dry floral hops. Alright.

Quick3Beers (1465) - East Falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 4, 2017
Pours a hazy dark amber/copper from a bottle. Big fruit nose, citrus, stone fruit and melon are all present and accounted for. Similar flavor but with a nice but not cloying sweetness. Not very bitter at all, could've used a bit. Amazingly smooth, didn't realize there was rye in the grain bill til I read the description here, makes a lot of sense, nice big round mouthfeel. Pretty good beer.

MrTipple (6592) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 3, 2017
Straw, sweet grain malts, light wood, unripe tropical fruits. Hazy gold, small, creamy, white head. Medium bitter. More bitter, unripe tropical fruits, mango, passion fruit, pineapple, sweet citrus fruits, soft carbonation, medium bodied. Decent IPA, nothing too spectacular though. Keg at Beavertown Extravaganza 2017, Canada Water.

mike_77 (7157) - Breda, NETHERLANDS - SEP 30, 2017
Clear blond. Aroma and flavour have a nice malt / hop balance. Moderately sweet. Rather boozy tasting considering the abv.

androman (2877) - Maarssen, NETHERLANDS - SEP 26, 2017
UT220917 backlog. On tap at Borefts 2017. Nose is Floral. Fruity, honey. Medium bittersweet. Medium lasting fruity hoppy medium bitter. Medium body, slick, medium carb. 658516

SinH4 (6403) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - SEP 24, 2017

Tap. Hazy golden color with white head. Aroma is caramel, fudge. Taste is fudge, toffee, earthy, herbal hops. Bitter finish, oily mouthfeel. Heavy, but nice.

Stuu666 (15095) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 22, 2017
Keg at borefts. Pours golden, nose is meaty, malty, citrus, taste is similar, dry, grassy.