overall
RATINGS: 248   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
This Beer is my regular Fred, aged for over a year in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Ataraxia (533) - California, USA - MAR 29, 2014
Slightly hazy, burnt orange-brown with off-white lacing. Aroma is a bit hot from the bourbon; there’s also brown sugar, figs, charred oak, leather, and a subtle amount of tobacco. Sugary but not overly sticky, viscous, full-bodied, and smooth with little carbonation. Finish is boozy and sweet.

Dfonorow (2216) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2014
Bottle share in 2013. Pour is hazy dark brown with no head. Aroma is brown sugar, dates, honey, vanilla, and oak. Flavor is very malty - vanilla, oak chips, honey, booze. A bit cloying and almost no carbonation, disappointing.

XaenDovet (1282) - British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 14, 2014
2012 bottle enjoyed at brewery. Pours a cloudy burnt orange with an airy white cap that settles to a thick roped edge. Aroma of bourbon, candi, oak, fruit, juice. Taste is sweet, tangy. Silky mouthfeel from a medium carbonated level. This beer is amazing.

berntholer (1617) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - FEB 16, 2014
no head. amber colour. aroma is sweet, vanilla, bourbon. taste is syrupy and like aroma. dense mouthfeel, soft carbonation.

CanIHave4Beers (4184) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - FEB 12, 2014
2011 Bottle from box, thaks Luscious Loines 4FS
Pours a hazy orange, pretty much flat.

The aroma is rich & malty... toffee, pipe tobacco, some cooked fruit, & mild bourbon... It’s oxidized, it’s really very noticeably oxidized, very sherry like... I actually think it works with everything else going on here, but I think maybe this bottle could have been lifeless had we opened it much later.

The flavor is a bit like a cream sherry in as much as it has the rich & oxidized character of an oloroso but the bit raisin character of PX. It’s plenty sweet with Cavendish tobacco notes, raisin & cherry fruitiness, & plenty of toffee, licorice & bourbon. Again, it’s totally oxidized and my instinct is to dismiss it as simply such, but I’ve got to say that this is the most sherry like beer I’ve ever had in a very pleasant way, it kept me sipping and swirling and going back for more, it was simply delicious in spite of it’s state.

Not a shelf beer 4FS

djd07 (14469) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 6, 2014
Bottle thanks to Nick. Pours a cloudy brown with small white head that diminishes to nothing. The aroma is strong booze and oak. Medium mouthfeel with rich malt and booze upfront, light candy sugar and boozy finish. Very good.

Syzzer (647) - Oregon, USA - FEB 2, 2014
From 12oz bottle. Little carbonation. A bit syrupy. Smooth, very distinct bourbon barrel flavor. Finish is of alcohol and ripe plum.

Brentv (672) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 19, 2014
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2016 Bottle pour. Murky orange brown. No head. No lacing. Big aroma of bourbon and caramel and oak. Flavor the same - very sweet, and very complex. Lots to love here. No carbonation at all. Medium mouthfeel. I have loved everything I have had at the brewery but the bottles are nearly or completely flat. This beer has such an excellent flavor, but it needs some carbonation. Update: I tried the second of the 2013 Bourbon Fred tonight. Still flat. I sure wish HotD could get the carbonation right.

OldMrCrow (2437) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 12, 2014
Fresh (2013) bottle sampled Jan 2014. From HOTD in Portland

Pours without head into my tulip glass. Pours like dark cloudy unflitered cider. Big boozy aroma: alcohol and wood, vanilla and Christmas bread and caramel corn. The alcohol is forward in the flavor as well. Rich sweet brown sugars drizzled over baked apples. Golden grahams. Maple sugar. Tobacco later, pine, wood, but always coming back to the bourbon. Mouthfeel is full and hot, nearly flat.

I’m glad to have had the chance to try this one, but I’m not blown out of my seat. Holly loves it, but she’s not trying to drink a full bottle. I think I prefer the base beer to this particular instantiation. Still I may be lowballing a bit at 3.7. I think this is an example of a beer that needs a couple of years to settle down. With two more in the cellar, we’ll find out in 2015.

kevinator (2205) - The Colony, Texas, USA - JAN 1, 2014
Good but a little boozy. The aroma is straight up bourbon and wood. It was a pretty copperish color with no head. Smooth and oily mouthfeel with little to no carbonation. Strong bourbon and caramel flavors. Some sweetness with a lot of complex malts and sugars to follow. Very little hops presence. My only critique is that the bourbon strength took away from the overall character. Still good though.