overall
RATINGS: 1014   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Doggie Claws has a deep copper color and an intense hop character. I use Simcoe and Amarillo hops along with Organic Pilsner malt, British crystal and dark wild flower honey collected on Mt. Hood. The beer is ready to drink now but will improve with age. Happy Holidays from the curs at Hair of the Dog. - Alan Sprints, Brewmaster

Gromit (478) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 19, 2003
2003 offering. DAMN this is good. Pours a deep red-ish brown with a *very* nice head that lasts forever and leaves not a lace, but a *blanket* down the glass. I poured this and got called away for five minutes and it still had a great head. Yeah, it's that dense. Smells amazing - cloves and hops. Tastes as good, if not far better than any Barley Wine out there. It's sweet, but not like an Amber, this is far better balanced. Plenty of hops here, for sure. Wow. This is complex. Serious fruit esters abound. Mouthfeel is thick and full, yet still quite clensing. Overall, I'm really trying to find something to "ding" this as I've never given a perfect score. So help me, I can't find a flaw with this beer. Outstanding in every way. GET THIS BEER!!! As soon as I can get my hands one some cash, I'm going back for more of this. The bottle states that this beer was made to age, I can't wait to see what this is like in a few years.

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - AUG 30, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2004 2004 Just when i thought this brew couldn’t get any better the 2004 vintage is released. Not only is this brew absolutely amazing now, this thing could be aged for an even better taste, if thats even imaginable. Incredible hop aroma just attacks you as you open the bottle, must be all those dryhopped simcoes or something, there is also some nice spices and a faint fruitiness. The added hops to this years batch just really added to the taste and I will have to pick up more of these brews to cellar for a while. 2003 This brew is truely amazing. A dark red/brown color with a nice tan head that leaves decent lacing. The aroma is very well balanced with some sweet caramel malt and a nice light hop backing to it. Flavor has tons of roasty malts, caramel and almost a faint smokiness in the after taste. By far my favorite NW xmas brew.

Bier brauen (246) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - DEC 15, 2007
One of the best beers I’ve had of this type. Strong, sweet, hoppy aroma, and hoppy taste.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JUL 12, 2008
Thanks Jimbo O. Pours a hazed roasted apricot color w/ a tall lasting froth. Good lacing w/ aromas of sweet, tart stonefruit nectar. Full nectar w/ a very creamy texture. Nice! Sweet and meaty w/ a defined mild tartness. Flavors from nectarines, plumbs, and apricot, including kiwi, pinapple, and caramel. The finish is long and savory. This brew has a moderate hop profile that does a good job in balancing this one out. It has an appealing milky texture that simply blows my mind. Good stuff man. Trump! This is the closest thing to Angels Share I have ever tasted.

BeerDisciples (13) - Spokane, Washington, USA - JUL 3, 2011
Beautiful Pour caramel apple color, Toffee nose hits you before you get to the glass, Incredible balance considering the ABV, Great Mouthfeel, Insanely drinkable but the ABV hit me afterward. This is one of the best beers I have had. I continue to be impressed by Hair of the Dog. Cheers