overall
RATINGS: 1517   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. Fred the beer is a deep golden color. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties in an effort to incorporate the whole world into this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - AUG 14, 2004
batch #53. pours reddish golden, fairly clearish with few bubbles in the body and micro yeast particles. creamy off white/tannish head that has moderate last. lacing makes some cool arcing patterns. fruity/yeasty/hoppy aroma. citrus peel & apricot. taste is a hop attack! so many hop flavors beyond my abilities. alcohol burn, rye whiskey/bourbon like flavor. light fizzy carbonation. strongly dry rye malt flavor. was hoping this would be a strong double IPA saison, but its a little overpowering for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2005 Bottle. Batch #40. Pours a slightly murky copper/gold with a big rocky head and great lacing. Grassy and spicy hop nose with a underlying sweet malt aroma. Smooth hop bitterness and well rounded hop and malt profile. Dry finish and lingering bitterness. Great beer. I just opened a batch #36 and it is great. It has developed a nice round maltiness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CamdenD (1197) - Madrid, SPAIN - AUG 13, 2004
Barleywine or IIPA? This "Special Golden Ale" is an impressive offering from a brewery that I am just beginning to taste. Quite a bit lighter than Adam, Fred offers a nice hoppy tongue that, to me, most barlywines lack, which helps counteract any overly sweet malt bases. At 10%, this beer has a sturdy backbone. I like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DocLock (10465) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Thank you to BrooklynBoy for this one...Batch #46. Pours turbid orange, with more foamy, white head than a Manhattan socialite party. First off, I love the label here. My apologies to Fred Eckhardt, who I've just had a chance to read up on. I was not aware of Fred's illustrious history in the brewing world. My ignorance is not an excuse, and Fred, cheers, and more power to you, man! Anyway, on to the beer, which is the main point of this text. Big aroma of malt, hopflocit, barnyard earth and spice. Tastes malty, very rich, with a big fruitiness, florals, spice, barnyardiness, and some bier de gardishness in the finish. Also, I noticed apricot, chardonnay, and scotch. The palate is dense, full, smooth, slightly astringent. The head stayed put all the way through this one...looking like a rootbeer float at the end. Even my copious forehead oils couldnt dent this head. Also, let me clarify that the term "barnyard" here is definitely a good thing...much different than say....going down on your girlfriend and describing it as a "barnyard odor and flavor". Doing that would definitely get you two knees to the head. I put this one at 2 parts bier de garde, 1 part Belgian tripel, and 2 parts Belgian strong ale, with all parts being equally delicious. I cant wait to try the other HOTD styles. Actually, this one was very Unibroueish in taste, aroma, and finish. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dorwart (2578) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - AUG 8, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2006 And then there was Fred. Probiere rocked our world at the NJ Bittings gathering when she pulled out a magnum of FRED batch #39. Let me tell you about Fred. Fred has a nice fluffy head which lasts the duration of the date with Fred. Fred also has decent lacing as he is very upscale. He has a very plesant and complex aroma with apricots and lots of sweet malts and hops. Loaded with caramel and toffee also. His color is a very handsome orange/amber. And then we kissed. It was like heaven on my lips. Big time malts and hops but very well balanced. Again loads of caramel malts and coffee. Very chewy. I must say that Fred is put together very well if you know what I mean. Yet a very mysterious man. Hiding his massive alcohol content in this subtle package. Bad Fred, bad. To finish the night off we danced a little. He is very soft yet warming from his alcohol content. As we danced he carressed my palate and when he left, I was delighted to find a soft thin film in my mouth. Not going to tell where that came from, snicker, snicker. I must say that Fred was a delight as a date and one that I will always remember and will look forward to the next time I roll into his town. Sweet dreams Fred, you stud you.

P.S. I do not bat for the other team but Fred is making me reconsider.

JenT (10) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Batch 56 : Its warming like whisky with velvety hops. Very strong beer made to perfection with an incredible range of hops flavors. Like a barley wine but better because of that signature northwest hop flare that hits your palatte. This is a must-taste beer for any beer geek that loves hops. It <is>a special ale, but then again Fred is a special person (This beer is blended from 10 different hops) WOW! Be sure to pour properly (read the instructions on the bottle) and prepare to get hopped up on the Fred!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
igneous1 (1535) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - JUL 31, 2004
batch 22....amber, cloudy, no head. lots of toffee and woodiness in the nose...some alcohol too, but its mostly well-masked. flavor has a surprising sweetness with lots of toffee and woodiness. this is the 2nd bottle ive had in 4 days, and this one is much better than first for some reason.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - JUL 25, 2004
Batch 41.No head ,but what a beautiful hue;golden orange ,Cloudy with some floaties..guess I shoulda stopped pouring but what the hey.I cant pinpoint all the aromas but the aromatic malts and hops sing drink me now.First,the alcohol is well hidden here.Flavor of the hops comes out nicely and a blast of spices.One of my favorites.Glad I finally rated this one.Another great Northwest Brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUL 25, 2004
07.23.04 Mag bottle, batch 36, 3 yr old, courtesy of Probiere. I started taking notes on this one...Pretty clouded orange amber, light head. Body is creamy and smooth. Deeply complex nose and flavor...then I put down the pen and relished in what turned out to be my highlight of a tremendous beer list at our NJ (JJ Bitting) mini-gathering. This beer is awesome. A thousand thank yous, Emily!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JUL 24, 2004
Magnum. Cloudy Golden in color with a white head. Hoppy and yeasty aroma. Lots of hops. Smooth malty flavor. Excellent beer. Smooth tasting. Nice bitterness. Nicely aged beer. Enjoyable beer. Thanks Probiere.