overall
RATINGS: 1541   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. Fred the beer is a deep golden color. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties in an effort to incorporate the whole world into this beer.

HammerheadPDX99 (6) - USA - DEC 24, 2001 does not count
Intense... first one had to be chased down with glass of water. Another of my favorite brews.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 21, 2001
Huge, wildly rocky head - must poor slowly. Smooth, soft, and silky texture; heavy on the tongue. Strong and very warming in the throat. Flavors and aromas (flowery hops, candy-like malt, and strong alcohol) swirl and cascade up your nasal cavity. Aftertaste lingers for a great deal of time. Pretty intense beer.

gwfrankpsu (231) - McKinleyville, California, USA - DEC 18, 2001
This on my top ten list. The warming effect of Fred is not to be believed. Wonderful fruity flavors, sweet and malty. Fred Eckhardt should be proud.

Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2001
I must admit I was pretty sh*tty when I tried this after a night of sampling various others(of which I lost the bottles somewhere). That said, I found this distinct in all the previously described characteristics. High alcohol is the most significant note. Under that I found it sweet, dried fruity and spicy, with enough hops to carry it to a dry finish. Not what I expected in an American barley wine(Spody Ody).

Dragon99 (57) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - NOV 3, 2001
A very strong ale. Alchy is apparant. Nice aroma and mouth feel. Bitter aftertaste.

amceachern99 (70) - Albany, Oregon, USA - OCT 15, 2001
Hair of the dog rules! I drank two of these, and could hardly stumble home.

TAR (2787) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - SEP 18, 2001
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2009 A very tasty and enjoyable beer. Warming to the body and great for the soul. A beer aficionado’s dream come true! What an amzing head!

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 12, 2001
Great apple/floral aroma. Reminded me of spring in an orchard if that doesn't sound too sappy. Good thick head. The flavor was maybe a bit too alcoholic but evened out as it warmed. A great late-night beer.

daboskabouter (1469) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 1, 2001
Absolutely wonderful beer. Soft mouthfeel and smooth texture. Dark fruity taste, plums. I may have had it a bit too warm, try this beer lightly chilled. For ten percent alcohol (my bottle said ten not 11.5) this is a killer brew.

fraternie (1021) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 9, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2011 Strong fruity malt aroma. Still very smooth, but very powerful at the same time. An excellent barleywine overall, with sweet caramel and toffee malts above a spicy hop backbone, turning into a blast of alcohol at the end. Long finish.