overall
RATINGS: 487   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 375   ABV: 12.5%
Matt VandenBerghe and Matt Bonney (Bottleworks and Brouwers in Seattle) personify the spirit and dedication that has helped craft beer become the vibrant industry it is today. This Beer was originally Brewed to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Bottleworks, and will be released every few years from the Brewery. Matt is made with two Munich malts, two Smoked malts and two types of Belgian candy sugar. It is aged in Kentucky Bourbon and Apple Eau de Vie barrels from Clear Creek distilling. Matt is deep and lush with notes of apple, chocolate and smoke.

snakeoilpete (324) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 27, 2009
On tap at Brouwer’s. Wow. Was excited about this one and it definitely met expectations. Pours black with a thick frothy tan head and larger bubbles that last until the end. First sniff is heavy bourbon; after a while the bourbon fades a little and leather, oak, and dark fruits have more of a presence. Noticed something different every sip. Bourbon and oak of course, with tobacco, leather, cherry, blackberry, and sugary grapefruit. Nice thick mouthfeel and a long oaky finish. The alcohol gave a pleasant warmth without being overpowering in the least. Tried to pour all the remaining froth into my mouth and enjoyed smelling the empty glass until they took it away. Had to order another to end the evening.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2009
Bottle from trevor211 - thanks a ton. I wanted to wait, but this one kept calling my name (and I have another bottle sourced it looks like) so screw it. This one has a beautiful brownish, murky pour - very reminiscent of Adam. Aroma is a really nice mix of oak, bourbon, wine, apple, smoke, chocolate and so much else - unreal complexity in the nose alone! Flavor has a good bit of oak/wet wood with the bourbon being slightly more noticeable than the Apple Brandy. Smokiness is fantastic here with just enough smoky campfire and a good bit of wood and sweetness. Some funky cheese here too Theres candy, a multitude of fruits and earth. Probably the most complex beer I’ve sampled. Crazy good mouthfeel with just a hint of alcoholic heat and just enough sweetness and wood. This blows away almost all other Wood-based beers as its so well balanced, and I’m gonna guess its only gonna get better. Hypnotizingly awesome, and I don’t usually like young HOTDs nearly as much as older ones. A 5 all the damn way.

cmonster (1000) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 15, 2009
HotD’s resident brewmaster, and sole employee, Alan, poured me a sample from the tap at the brewery a few weeks ago. Huge head on a short taster glass. I was just floored by the complexity and luscious aroma and flavor. The nose was full of apple, oak, and smoke. Sweet on the nose and the palate. Rich and big. I had to take home a couple of bottles as this is the best beer I have ever tried.

JoeTheYounger (1195) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - JUN 30, 2009
Thanks to Alan at the Brewery for letting me and my dad have this on draft. This beer was absolutely amazing. Poured a golden brown with nice head. Aroma was incredible, I just wanted to smell it all day before even tasting it. It had a sweet candy smell with hints of apples, smokey oak chips, and bourbon. Taste was an orgasm to the palate with so many complicated flavors to describe. This is probably the best beer i’ve had to date. It was perfect in every way. Thanks Alan for the tour and for the awesome beer.

Bule (2256) - California, USA - MAR 27, 2013
12oz bottle at Hair Of The Dog. 2010 Vintage. This is my second tasting of this amazing brew. It's in my top 3. Amazing flavor of raisins and pepper. Omg, there's just nothing else that tastes anything like this.