overall
RATINGS: 172   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Possessing a delicate balance of malt and hop flavors and embellished by the distinctive fruitiness of our special ale yeast, Hale’s Pale Ale is flavorful and easy to drink.

Editor’s note: also known as Original Pale American Ale, first brewed on July 4, 1983

BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 24, 2007
Pours golden with a light haze. Aroma is citrus with a touch of pine. Balanced, flavour of malts and hops. Simple and quite effective.

bhensonb (15191) - Woodland, California, USA - FEB 10, 2007
Aroma seems floral with underlying citrus. Very nice. Fine amber color, very little head. Starts with malt and berry, not overly strong berry; the hop aroma dominates the flavor, and the hop bitterness carries through to the finish. After the hop wears down, the malt can be detected. This must be balanced. Very good stuff. Palate gets fatigued after about half a bottle, so it starts great, but it wears you out. Even so, it remains a good drink.

1.4
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2007
Bottle from Everything Washington, Seattle, WA. Pours an average amber with a slight head and minimal lacing. Aroma is strong strawberry offset by sweet citrus. Notes of grapefruit in there as well. Bad bottle??? Coppery grapefruit flavor. Hmmm. Just read another rating; apparently I’m not the only one to notice the metallic taste. As close to undrinkable as one can get, but I’ll finish it out of principal. Won’t be buying this again.

1.3
bitterpeanut (15) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 10, 2006
First off, I should say this may have been a not so common experience. I had this beer at Hale’s brewpub in Seattle on October 7, 2006. Poured from the taps at the bar, this beer had a good color (~10 SRM) for an American Pale Ale. A quick smell of the aroma I got some biscuit aroma and a bit of lactose as well. First taste and I thought, "Wow, this is bitter." Second taste, "No, this tastes metallic." And after that, I couldn’t get it out of my palette. I don’t know where it came from, I’m assuming it was just a keg whose lining had seen better days, but I couldn’t finish the beer or drink another beer for the rest of the day. Disappointed is all I can say.

Reid (2539) - Salem, Oregon, USA - SEP 21, 2006
Dark amber beer with a beautiful light tan head thats creamy and thick. Not very much aroma at all going on , just a slight maltiness/ buiscuit. Very light caraamel taste to begin then some toastiness, and a slight lactic taste,long lasting bitter aftertaste. Ok on the palate , pretty average stuff. I found this drinkable enough, but rather uninspired.

Ratman197 (14834) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Bottle poured a hazy copper with a small lingering ivory head. Aromas of biscuit, light carmel and some fruitiness. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of carmel, bread and a bit o0f fruitiness with a lingering unpleasent bitterness creeping in on the aftertaste. Save your money.

benpickens (512) - Camarillo, California, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Pours with a small white frothy head. Very aromatic with biscuity, flowerlike, aromas. The hops dominates the malt and there is a very bitter hops finish.

calivania (62) - USA - JUL 23, 2006
A very nice APA that will fit the job perfectly on those days you are looking for the style-- which I think has the teeth to stand up to heat with out being overwhelmingly bitter. I cannot deny what the others say about the rather thin mouth feel but the show here is the strength of the yeast and the way it plays with the malt in your mouth. The hops show up at the end just to break up the fight. Good show.

OldMrCrow (2437) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 3, 2006
On tap at the brewery. <!-- p --> Another snoozer from Hales. Pours a warm amber, some hints of c-hops in the aroma, and again faint hop notes, somewhat sour and grainy, in the flavor. Overall, this relatively mild for a West Coast APA, and not particularly good. I don’t see the point.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - APR 7, 2006
For a pale ale, this was rather weak BUT still not bad. I was expecting some hoppyness in the nose, but it fell a bit short. Apperance was a nice light amber color. Decent palate with malty, caramel notes, a bit sweet and light in the hop department. Surely a drinkable beer, but since there are SO many better Pale Ale’s available, I doubt this will get a second notice unless it’s really inexpensive.