overall
Brewed by Half Pints Brewing Co.
Style: Pilsener
Winnipeg, Canada

RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Our buddy Phil is a friend of good beer, so Phil’s Pils must be impressive ode to good taste. Thankfully (Phil would say) it’s the polar opposite of most Pilsners available today. Brewed using two-row pale, melanoidin, and crystal malts, this lager is chock full of malty goodness on top of German Hallertau and Czech Saaz hops. This brew is also dry hopped with a blend of Mount Hood and more Saaz. Our Pils actually tastes like malt & hops – what a novel idea! Try it with a slow smoked rack of ribs or a wedge of Pepper Jack cheese. Serve at 6 C. in a Pilsner glass. Unfiltered. 30 IBU

barncatmatt (2287) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 20, 2009
341 ml bottle from a trade with hobbersr. pours hazy golden with a small white head. hoppy aroma, not typical pils hops and the malts feel wrong to for a pils. the flavour is more of the same. its a good beer but it aint no pils. really this drink like an IPA or APA and thers nothing wrong with that, it just aint a pils. thanks for the bottle Riley!

VertBaconStrips (2395) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JUN 18, 2009
Thanks, B for the brew... Poured out a nice deep gold, barely hazy brew with ...hell yea! old skool pantera - cowboys from hell just crashed in \m/....a so-so white crown that does not last long enough and left near zreo lacing. The aroma borders on being quite refreshing and does not overpower and stays fairly mellow. A great mix of mild citrus (lemon is prominent) and floral hops, very bready malts and the weakest spice can be found - this spice is quite interesting so look for it during the entire tasting. The taste is pretty good but on some sips comes across boring. Good upfront malts especially early on in the tasting where as i’ve noticed that the hops are more dominate more later on (odd). Decent ammount of biscuit malts and dry, spicy and piney malts. The Saaz hops are noticable. Mouthfeel is prety smooth with the carbonation early on being a bit to big but that mellows. Light medium bodied. Solid middle and lots of hops to finish you off dry, spicy and bitter. I just realized that I’m pretty buzzed as I’ve spelt ’pretty’ ’preyy’ four times straight and actually had to concentrate to type it properly. Work will suck tomorrow once again.

Cirrhosis (1283) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 10, 2009
"Dam fine looking brew for the style this is the best I’ve seen so far. Body appears slightly hazy and is a warm honey brown color, a quarter inch thick creamy cap sits on top and is leaving behind tons of lacing and the retention is great the head lasted the entire brew. Aroma is pleasant a touch on the mild side though, mild hops that come across citrusy and are combing very nicely with some smooth lightly roasted malts. I detecting some sourness in the aroma on deep inhales but is hardly noticeable. Phenomenal flavor malty smooth bready toastedness combined with a wonderful hop presence, this is just plain old yummy. I swear I’m tasting rice crispy squares. Beer feels medium bodied and leaves behind a mild sweet after taste. I can’t believe how good this beer is the malts are just so full and rich, and finally a Canadian brewer who isn’t scared to make a beer that actually has a hop flavor in it. I’m blown away by how good the beer is I’ve managed to drink the entire 660ml bottle in a few minutes I want more but it’s a 14 hour drive away dam it."

Savvy1982 (1706) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 29, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2009 Very classy Pilsner with incredible, well-balanced, and transparent hop character. Well done.

TheHulk (486) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 27, 2009
A full flavoured pilsner with a nice flavour but not too strong tasting and theres not too much alcohal taste either. Not as much hops as a pilsner urquell but a lot thicker and more robust from the malt.

Cole (967) - , Alberta, CANADA - FEB 27, 2009
From 330ml bottle. Looks amazing cloudy amber with a thin white head. Strong floral aroma. Flavor is great well balanced and smooth. Lots of Saaz Hops and crystal malt. This is a great Pilsner.

hobbersr (690) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 25, 2009
Pours a cloudy orange/gold colour with minimal head. Aroma has honey, citrus, pine, melon, apple, some musty, grassy notes, and flowers. Tastes initially sweet, honey, melons, soft fruits and then turns a little bitter, some grapfruit pith, tangerine, and then a appley, grassy, oily finish (saaz hops). Really nice pilsner. Tuns of flavor, good price. I really enjoy this beer.

pintbypint (3767) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 12, 2009
341ml brown bottle. Gold colour, very light haze. White head, foamy, sticky and clingy. Aroma is a combination of light malt and straw. Flavour is initially sweet malt, as the label suggests - honeyish. we are then greeted with some citrus and grass notes. Finishes with some nice grassy hop accents. Light body, moderate carbonation.

TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 5, 2009
I’m with duffman, this beer was a dud for me. Light malty aroma. Pours hazy golden with thin white head. Up front yeastiness. Palate is flat and listless. What killed it for me is the tangerine like flavour. There are some hops but the abrupt alcohol finish cuts the enjoyment.

DuffMan (10606) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 2, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2010 RE_RATE: Just tries this again recently with rockley, and boy am I glad I did! Waaayyyy better than when I first hadd it (see my original review at the end). Beautiful floral, grass, and honey aromas and flavours, tasty pale malts, well balanced bitterness. An outstanding pilsener! {{ORIGINAL RATING 2.9: I felt like a bit of a wet blanket with this beer! Everyone seems to love it but my experience was just so-so. Pours a hazy amber gold with a big white head that shows excellent staying power. Aroma is a dusty yeast note giving way to some pale malts. I am not too sure I want any yeast in my pilsener! No offense. Anyway the palate is pretty standard grainy pale malt with a musty yeast element and a kiss of hop character in the finish. Just okay for me.}}