RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.7/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Hammer & Nail Brown Ale is a deceptive combination of malts and hops to provide a dark beer with a lighter, more balanced flavor. It isn't too light, it isn't too heavy, it isn't too sweet, it isn't too bitter

Most RecentTicked By

🔒 This rating is private

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 16, 2008
Please note that on my older reviews I used a 100 point scale. To make up for any scoring discrepancies, all palate and apearance scored are assigned a neutralized 3/5.

10/15/02: A tasty brown ale with a nice malty presence. This has some nice aromas of raisins and yogurt with a nice presence of nuts and brown sugar.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 24, 2002
I’m not really a fan of american brown ales, but this one’s a champ. Really smooth, and semi-sweet. My only complaints are that I wouldn’t mind a little darker color and I wouldn’t mind a little less hops (for a brown), but most US browns tend to be that way. Probably the best one I’ve had so far. Personally, I think if you’re going to drink a brown ale, may as well go with Sam Smith’s. Hammer and Nail hasn’t disappointed me yet. I’d buy this again.

koslo (1) - Watertown, Connecticut, USA - FEB 6, 2002 does not count
Excellent representation of the Brown ale style. Slightly nutty aroma, malty flavor.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 22, 2001
I have to agree with the Commercial Description: Very balanced. It should have more hops. More like the Sam Smiths (very good) rather than the Newcastle (Not that good).

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 28, 2001
A nutty, kinda bread dough nose, the malts U know. Quite tastey, nice head and generous lace, some hop bite at the finish, a real decent brown ale in my books, thanks to VENOM!

Oakes (17685) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 13, 2001
Dark amber; complex malty aroma & flavours of toasted caramel and stewed peaches. Body is a little light, though.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 8, 2001
Incredible brown ale. Balanced to perfection with a nice malt flavor and equally flavorful hop bite.