overall
Brewed by Hanssens Artisanaal
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Dworp, Belgium

RATINGS: 1178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
As with all Gueuzes, Hanssens is a mixture of several vintages to produce a lambic which is refreshingly fruity.

This is the result of blending different lambics of different ages. The second fermentation takes place inside the bottles and therefore they are stored for minimum six months in constant temperature kept cellars.

Metalhead (644) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JAN 30, 2005
This bottle was about 4 years old. It took me 3 weeks of sitting in my fridge to get the guts to actually try it. I let it sit unopened on my counter for about 20 mins or so whilst I consumed aanother beer. Popped the cork. Holy shit! You guys weren’t kidding about the barnyard,funky stench. Brought back memories of changing my kids diaper with vinegar tossed in. I started laughing so hard it took a minute to try the first sip. Wow! Funky,vinegar,tart,sour but each sip made my mouth water. The sickboy in me kept taking deep whiffs of this because I couldn’t believe I was actually drinking it. I gave my now grown daughter a sip. Her nose crinkled,her eyes watered and she ran to the fridge to get a coke. "OH,that is so gross.how can you drink that?" Beats me but I’ll buy it again.

ante (3373) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 20, 2005
Orange yellow colour, small dissapearing white head. Musty and acidic aroma, hints of stable, cheese and lemon peels. Acidic and fresh flavour of apple and lemon skins, small notes of wood and hay. Dry acidic finish of grapefruit, hay, stomach acid and wood. Good.

Geiserich (4532) - Linz, AUSTRIA - JUN 2, 2005
Bottled:
Strong cidre note and quite sourly grapefruit aroma. Flavor is medium to strong sour, refreshing with a medium stron citrus peel note. Strong astringent, sourly finish with a tart bitterness in the end. Very nice gueuze.

pivnizub (10668) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - JUN 9, 2005
Bottle (bought 1996): Orangey colour, cloudy, thin but lasting foamy white layer; fresh fruity (citrus, grapefruit) sourish nose with a tinge of grains, also yeast and - that’s understood- horse-blanket; starts quite sourish, but soft, turning to a heavy, fruity acidic flavour; ending in a long, sour aftertaste with some traces of a tart bitterness. Very good !

MoritzF (9974) - Ottobrunn, GERMANY - JUN 9, 2005
(375ml unlabelled bottle with a white chalk mark, bought in 1996) Cloudy orange colour with a small fizzy white head. Acidic nose with a scent of horseblanket and fruits and wheat. Sour and dry flavour, spritzy carbonation. Dusty sour taste with almost no bitterness, fruity tones of grapefruit and apricot. Slightly tart and vinous long lasting finish. A great and complex brew ! The sampled bottle was found in pivnizubs cellar during “archeological excavations”. Thanks for sharing it with me !

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JAN 15, 2006
The predominant flavor here is grape skins--Concord grape skins, with exactly the same sort of bitterness and same fruit qualities. I happened to like this a lot.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 31, 2006
750mL bottle. Slightly hazy orange amber with a film of white head. Acetic acid, horsey aromatics. Very tart sourness, some horse and wet hay later on. Slightly phenolic plastic tinge in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium light, very dry.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 3, 2006
So I’m watching some show about Belgium. I’ve got the TiVo so I can do that anytime. But I’m watching this show and thinking, Man, I could really go for a gueuze. I just so happen to have a bottle in the fridge. So I go to the fridge and pour some for me and the Mrs. Thing is, the Mrs. doesn’t like the gueuze so much; so I end up pouring her portion into my glass. Now everything’s alright. Alright. So I drink the gueuze and I like the gueuze. It’s wheaty and fruity, like apples and pears and such. It has a little vinegar to it as well and makes me crave giant cheeseburgers smothered in mustard and some french fries. But I don’t have either. So I just drink the gueuze and write this review.

Fin (10621) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 10, 2006
Bottled Brugs de’ Beertje 04-11-05. The third in my dip into the world of Acid beers and the best so far, despite it giving my tongue one hell of a work over. This one really zap’s you with it’s sharpness my friends around the table are looking at me as If I have got a screw loose and their faces contort as they take a sip. Again it get’s better with each sip and again I still don’t feel particularly well qualified to descibe all of the tastes in here, but at times it’s like taking a big bite out of a bramley cooking apple, there is some sweetness, and a lingering taste, very good.

gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - MAY 27, 2006
From 750. Poured orange with a white head. Nose was sour and earthy. Flavor was complex and hard to get a handle on. Earthy, moldy, woody with a bit of pepper and sour finish.