Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #29 - Ginger Wheat

overall

RATINGS: 91   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
The Harpoon 100 Barrel Series Ginger Wheat Ale is an ode to brewer Scott Shirley’s favorite spice, ginger. The earthy, warming flavor of this golden-hued ale is derived from fresh ginger. Honey from a local New Hampshire farm yields a slight sweetness to balance the ginger spiciness. A small addition of Apollo hops adds floral notes to the aroma, while a hint of lemon adds acidity and rounds out the ginger flavor. Warm up your chilly winter nights with this ginger spiced beer.

BigHoss (172) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Bright yellow color, and I smell ginger, clove, white bread. I taste ginger, yeast, orange, and a bitterness of hops in the finish. Almost like a beer ginger ale, decent beer.....

rodisian (66) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 25, 2012
A very quaffable beer; has enough body and strength to pair with food, or enjoy alone. Had on tap at Plan B, aroma of - you guessed it - ginger; some spice and malt in there as well. Flavor follows the aroma. It’s a solid summer brew. Of the three 100 Barrel series I’ve had this year (Spruce Tip ale, Maple wheat, and Ginger wheat), this has been by far the best and most balanced.

jabersquawk (17) - Portland, Maine, USA - FEB 14, 2014
Ginger lends earthy quality to the subtle flavor of the wheat. Lots of ginger in the nose. Well-balanced. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

drewkennedy (5) - - JUL 22, 2012 does not count
I'm not a big wheat drinker (unless I'm in Germany) mainly due to wheat beer burnout in my formative drinking years. That being said, I really dug this beer-- a wheat foundation with some complex lemon, ginger, and honey notes that makes this a crisp and interesting drink. Note: this was listed as #42 on the label. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

vlj79 (3) - , Oregon, USA - FEB 15, 2010 does not count
I don’t typically like the taste of ginger, but for some reason it was so fantastic as a beer! I could drink this again and again.