overall
Formerly brewed at Harpoon Brewery
Style: Sweet Stout
Boston, Massachusetts USA

RATINGS: 297   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Our head brewer at our Windsor brewery homebrewed a batch of chocolate stout for himself after trying the style at a beer dinner and loving it. After several Harpooners tried Scott’s batch, we knew that we needed to add this beer to our lineup. It was originally introduced as a limited edition extra in our winter mix pack back in 2008, but it was soon apparent that our drinkers wanted more of this beer (a beer made with chocolate…not too hard to understand!), so we brought it back in 6-packs in 2010.

Description
A chocolate stout is a beer with a noticeable dark chocolate flavor. This flavor is created from the use of darker, more aromatic malt that has been roasted or kilned until it acquires a chocolate color. Harpoon Chocolate Stout is brewed with an abundance of chocolate malt and a touch of chocolate.

filogomo (10) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 18, 2012
Love this beer it get you bombed out and you don’t even know it. Its Sneaky ... Tastes like coffee to me

maxwelldeux (4433) - Snohomish, Washington, USA - NOV 25, 2012
Bottle. Pours an almost black color with almost no head on it. Nose is super chocolatey - the most chocolate I’ve ever found in a beer. Oh yeah - awesome dark chocolate flavors without being particularly sweet. Amazing.

joeymacaroni (309) - Wagontown, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2009
pours such an opaque black that I hold it up to the light and cannot see anything. thin tan head. nose of choclate and mocha is strong. some brandy in there as well. kinda like smelling a double-fudge brownie. flavor is loads of bittersweet baker’s chocolate and dark truffle. pretty heavy. aftertaste is bitter choclate. thick and oily. pretty freaking good.

messinger91 (13) - Huntington, West Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2013
This beer is my favourite chocolate stout overall. It isn’t too expensive, has good chocolate flavour, but I wish there was more of a beer taste to it. Still an excellent choice.

gdubu493 (60) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2015
Aroma: chocolate, caramel, something good. Appearance: dark brown, black. Taste: first taste is vanilla...strange but good, second taste was lemon/citrus...stranger but gooder, chocolate, coffee finish. Palate: creamy. Overall: I like this beer. Can’t put this into words but this beer reminds me of places I’ve been. Thanks @harpoonbrewery!