overall
RATINGS: 1633   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - MAY 27, 2005
on tap. Poured golden copper, with a nice head. Aroma was citrus and hops. Flavor was citrus and hops. Watery mouthfeel. Good beer, but there are several IPAs that put it to shame.

tbarnette (105) - Allen Park, Michigan, USA - MAY 27, 2005
This is good stuff. I’ve begun to like Indian Pale Ale’s, and this is as good as any other. One of Harpoon’s better brews.

Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Bottle. Dark clear gold with a thin white head. Smell is mostly sweet malt with a touch of floral hops. Taste is light floral and piney hops overlaid on a strong malt background. As IPAs go, this one is weak on flavor.

BCMike22 (92) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 20, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2008 One of the best IPA’s around, this coming from a BIG IPA fan. For a real treat, try it from the brewery in South Boston during a "Harpoonfest", where the beer is yards away from where it’s brewed.

bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 14, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2005 a good ipa light color nice even hoppy flavor, very crisp and dry, not a great example of an ipa - dry finish with stale hops

hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - MAY 10, 2005
I can’t say a whole lot about this one. It’s not bad, but it doesn’t have anything that sets itself apart. Hell, it’s barely even an IPA, as far as the ones I’ve had so far.

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 9, 2005
I have tried this in bottle before but decided to give it a try on-tap. Pours a very clear, lightly fizzy golden copper. Thin white head. Smell is grassy and lightly fruity. Taste is a crisp light maltiness. Lightly fruity and a puny lightly hoppy finish. Sometimes I couldn’t taste the hops at all. Really poor example of the style and not worth expounding upon. I always try to get my wife to try IPA’s because it’s one style I can’t seem to convert her to. Usually she makes a face and says it’s too bitter. When I offered her te Harpoon her response was "Nothing great but I could actually drink this IPA." Enough said about the hop profile.

WesBeerGuy (62) - Rocky Hill, Connecticut, USA - MAY 7, 2005
I used to love this stuff, but after trying all sorts of better beers in the last year or so, I was disappointed when I bought a case of this. The hops is definitely the dominant aroma and flavor here, but just isn’t strong enough for me to think of it as a true IPA. More like a hoppier-than-usual american pale. Nonetheless, a good inexpensive session beer.

bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2005
aroma is sweet and hoppy. color is coppery and clear with white head. flavor is hoppy bitter as is to be expected. nothing special.

GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 5, 2005
Tasted on tap at Cheers Bar, Boston MA....Norm asked to tell Verna that He’s not there.... Clear, Orange/Copper with an off white heat. Aroma is sweet grass and hop. Flavours is mostly mild hop with a fairly clean finish. The flavours could be a little stronger on this one.