overall
RATINGS: 1602   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

DragonStout (1418) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2005
a golden ale when poured.Lots of hop nose but not too much hop flavor.This was a middle of the road beer.It was not bad at all means.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2005
Light orange with a big white head. If Budweiser made an IPA this is what I think it would taste like. A pitiful aroma for an IPA although this may be a good introductory IPA for someone who either cannot take the power of a Stone or just has not developed the taste by sampling many hoppy beers.

JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - APR 5, 2005
ok appearance, golden yellow, with decent lacing and a mostly diminishing head. I would like a stronger hop aroma and flavor. Good drinkability, but so does water... Not very exciting. I’d guzzle these after a hot day, but not to appreciate its complexity. I can hardly taste anything.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - MAR 31, 2005
Plausible, decent, mainstream, drinkable, pretty good, okay, uncontroversial, nice, pleasant, hard-working, rule-obeying, moderately pungent, inoffensive, unintrusive, common-sensical, quality-ingredient IPA. I’d neither recommend nor dissuade someone from drinking this.

georgekillian (344) - Alabama, USA - MAR 28, 2005
pretty good beer, easy to get. i’m not a fan of IPA’s but this one is actually pretty drinkable. decent flavor and goes down pretty well

ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 25, 2005
3/25/05- draught at Flying Saucer - I didn’t have a notepad with me, so I’m rating from memory.

tmad (93) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - MAR 18, 2005
Golden amber in color, white head, mild crisp bitterness, not as bitter as I thought an IPA should be. A little floral in aroma and taste, not much body. This is a good beer but just a little weak for IPA standards.

Papsoe (25056) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAR 17, 2005
(Bottle 35,5 cl) Orangey golden with a moderate head. Hoppy and aromatic, but far from the bitterness and character found in other IPAs.

ClarkVV (6873) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 16, 2005
December 2004 bottle, consumed 3/15/05. I’ve had this beer at so many different bars, in bottle and on draught over the past 3 years that my previous rating of it was just getting too cumbersome and inaccurate. So let’s start afresh with this one. Clear, highly filtered pour reveals a color that would be robust for a pale lager, but inadequate, IMHO, for an IPA. White, foamy head is initally medium-sized, but quickly disipates to foam, with little lacing. Aroma of lightly peppery/spicy hops and a bit of floral notes, rather dry and almost paper-like. Flavor is more of the same light floral hops, low bitterness and a very plain, base pale malt in the background. Medium body, no real complexity. Little bit of hops crispness on the end. Terrifically boring in my opinion, with more body than actual flavor (lots of watery fullness, but rather bland). I even noted some light alcohol notes in aroma and flavor. Harpoon has rather markedly turned itself in to another Sam Adams. It’s lower flavor profile, and low bitterness are more appealing to the masses. They have great quality control, but with that filtration and pasteurisation, I feel they lose much that gives a beer that "microbrew" feeling. That’s fine, and more power to them, but it’s not for me.

BpaiHorngnam (14) - THAILAND - MAR 3, 2005
On my first sip, I thought the hops made the beer too bitter, but slowly but surely over the next two years it became my go-to beer. Now I do taste that fruity nose and enjoy the good crispy kick. It’s not too heavy in body, so a "few" servings won’t leave you overly full, but you will be tasting the hops all night and into the next morning. And yes, I do brush my teeth.