overall
RATINGS: 1638   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - SEP 15, 2004
Bottle. Poured a yellow with orangish hues. Thin head. Aroma is both of malt and hop. Neither is real dominant. Some floral notes. Mouthfeel is medium thin. Taste is malty, subtle earthy hops. Fair.

jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Nice amber/orange in appearance with a moderate white head. Wonderful citrusy, piney hop aroma, a characteristic IPA scent for me. Flavor was a very good spicy hop sensation, but not very bitter. I felt like this beer could use a bit more bitterness, but the hoppy flavor, specifically a grapefruit note that I picked up, was excellent. A fine IPA.

Ungstrup (37231) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - SEP 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2006 An orange beer with a small but disppearing white head. Both the aroma is slightly sour, malty, and slightly hoppy. I loved this beer before I joined RateBeer, especially when I had it at the brewery - but 2 years and 2500 beers later it has become boring - it is a little sad, but also shows how much my world of beer has improved.

GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 12, 2004
spicey and hoppy, nice lacing, thanks to catherine for buying me this bday drink.

madsberg (11762) - Søborg, DENMARK - SEP 11, 2004
Bottled: Golden coloured. Off white medium sized head. Hoppy and malty aroma. Not as distinct as I like it. Flavour is a bit watery and bland. Dies quickly on the palate. This isn’t the most interesting american beer, but nevertheless its my no. 100 american. Thanks Jacob and Martin for sharing.

Pailhead (6539) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Bottle: Real nice orange and grapefruit aroma. Pours a light transparent copper with a inch tall white head with good retention. Okay lacing. Nice initial sweetness followed by a nice hoppy finish. In comparison to the other IPA’s I’ve head, less hoppy the Dogfish and more than Samuel Smith’s. Very smooth mouthfeel. Leaves a light bitter aftertaste. Excellent balance. Excellent beer. Was never a huge IPA fan before rating on this site, but my tastes seems to be changing and I really enjoy these.

roder60 (1289) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 8, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2004 Bought a whole case of this for the first weekend of football season (a friend told me it was good). Pours a nice bronze gold with a large amount of frothy white head. Aroma is of nice citrus hops, but not as much as i had hoped. Flavor is sweeter than I expected. A good deal of malts to balance the hops. Not an overpowering hop presence like hopdevil or a 90 minute. Much more mellow. Not exactly what I had hoped for. Goes down smooth with a little hop finish. Overall, pretty good ipa, but you can easily find better.

BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Bottled. Floral, hoppy aroma is very nice. Hop presence (taste-wise) is not at all overpowering. A solid, above average, IPA, very similar to Dogfish’s 60-minute brew.

unclebleen (620) - California, USA - SEP 5, 2004
A decent IPA. Gold color, nice white head, hops and malt in nice balance. A very typical IPA, but by no means a poor representation.

Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - SEP 3, 2004
Pours golden. Nice amount of hops in the nose, but the taste is not as hoppy and floral as I’d normally expect in an IPA, but nice to drink none the less.