overall
RATINGS: 1638   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

SpringsLicker (3615) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 29, 2003
IMO, this beer stradles the line between a pale ale and an IPA. A large open head quickly forms on this oh-so-slightly hazy golden beer. The aroma, while citrusy, is a bit tame for an IPA. Smooth, slightly bitter flavor just needs a little more body to carry it. Not a bad beer, but a real hop-head IPA lover might want to try something else.

egajdzis (6501) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2003
Poured a golden color with a rocky white head. Citrus hop aroma, I liked it! Rather weak mouthfeel, but the hops and malt were balanced pretty nicely. This was also very refreshing, and i'd like to retry during the summer, it was a nice break from all the big beers i've had lately.

slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2003
Quarter-inch white head. Light copper. Aromas of citrus and floral blend. Very well hopped, classic IPA taste. Grapefuite/ citrus bite. Enjoyable.

HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 15, 2003
(Packaged on 11/25/2003) This is what I remember the very first few IPAs tasting like when I first tried the style. The beer has a fresh hoppy nose that seems to be a good balance of US and UK hops. The color of the beer is a very light copper or a very deep gold. The palate is medium in body with a touch of fruitiness surrounded by malt and hops. The finish is dry and bitter. I find this to be fairly good example of a traditional IPA.

michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 4, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 I used to think this was the desert island IPA. With an incredible balance of all attributes. However, I think it has lost some of its luster. It is just a lot blander than I remember...

sethatuml (38) - USA - NOV 27, 2003
Nice clean, biting IPA. Such a great amount of bitter with a clean finish. Can't get enough of this stuff.

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - NOV 24, 2003
How I love the hops. The nose of this could use a little booster shot, cuz it could be a little stronger, but maybe its just my sniffer. Either way, it does have the standard cirtus, floral smell to it. COlor is a nice pale golden with a thin white head. Flavor hits it home tho. It is smooth and tender until the hops catch up with you and steal your wallet in the back of some alley, figuratively speaking. It itsnt overwhelmingly hoppy, but it does sneak up on you, and leaves a nice feeling in your mouth afterwards.

ukoolaid (580) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 19, 2003
On tap. Decent golden color, not too impressive an aroma. A bit of hop, but not nearly enough. Way too bland to be a decent IPA.

alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2003
poured thick white head. orange color body. smell of hops and a floral scent. I taste the hops but they are not real strong, an IPA should be a little more hoppy(bitter). I do like this beer. It seems to grow on me the more that I drink it. Yummy, I think I'll have another.

scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 7, 2003
pleasant floral nose. thin head. golden color. it was hoppy at first taste but after a few sips, it's just not as bitter. still a good brew