overall
RATINGS: 1592   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Filtered and force carbonated.
Ingredients: Water, Three malts, including a 2-row pale, Northwest Cascade Hops, and Yeast.
This copper colored ale is floral, medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing finish. Originally our summer seasonal in 1993, it is now available year-round. Harpoon IPA was ranked atop both domestic and imported IPAs by Beer Connoisseur Magazine.

beerproject (129) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 7, 2012
There wasn’t much aroma. There is some hop bitterness in the taste, but not much else going on.

tkaufman (128) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2003
A nice dark copper with a quickly dissipating white head. A good hop aroma leaves you wanting more flavor in the actual beer. A decent IPA, but nothing spectacular.

alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2003
poured thick white head. orange color body. smell of hops and a floral scent. I taste the hops but they are not real strong, an IPA should be a little more hoppy(bitter). I do like this beer. It seems to grow on me the more that I drink it. Yummy, I think I'll have another.

jsmanigold (127) - Texas, USA - FEB 3, 2015
A nice light hoppy citrus taste. A good brew for a nice spring day. I reminds me more of a Pale ale, but still a good beer.

AMN (127) - Dublin, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 16, 2007
If I could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life, this would be it. Not overwhelming, but hopped enough to let you know it’s there. Harpoon has really grown on me.

AcctError13610 (124) - Montgomery, New York, USA - AUG 20, 2004
nice above average ipa no where near dfh or stone calibar. smooth beer lighter on the hops then some other ipa’s meduim to lighter body. just lacking that extra kick in the ass great ipa’s have.

taffurs888 (124) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 26, 2007
Very well produced IPA. Nice mix of hops, bitterness, grapefruit, and other citrus. Perfect for a hot May day.

Steak (124) - New York, USA - MAY 18, 2002
The enitre character of this beer seems to be based on the citrusness of itself. The aroma was predominately citrus, mostly grapefruit, and a bit floral and a bit hoppy. Golden light bronze color that is a little dark for IPAs. So citric in taste as I got hints of grapefruit, lime, and orange...nice. Hops were not overly abundant, but had enough presence to be noticed in the finish. A bit fruity, but I personally like this interpretation of an IPA.

Whelk (123) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JUL 4, 2007
Overall, I’d return to this IPA and make it a staple. It’s full-bodied and hoppy without being overwhelming, which I appreciate. I picked up woody/nutty and some citrusy flavors. I got a little too much hop oil, but overall I found this to be an enjoyable session IPA.

maugus4ever (123) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - JUL 10, 2008
Nice copper color with one finger head and decent lacing. Floral and citrus aroma. Not too hoppy but is quite refreshing.