overall
RATINGS: 501   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Formerly known as Harpoon Munich Dark.

If all the beers we offered were based on sales numbers, our Dark would most likely be on the chopping block. But this beer has been a perpetual Harpooner favorite, and we couldn’t let it go. We recently introduced this beer in 22 oz. bombers with a new label and a new name – simply “Dark”. But it’s the same beer we’ve been brewing since 1998.

Description
A blend of specialty malts gives our Dark a velvety mouthfeel with roasted notes and a hint of chocolate, balanced by a subtle hop aroma. Hard to describe but easy to drink, Harpoon Dark is rich in character and light on the palate. The overall character is hearty malt and chocolate balanced with a crisp hop bitterness.

Old description: Inspired by the centuries-old Bavarian beer, our Harpoon Munich Dark has a dark, balanced maltiness complimented with a moderate hop finish. We introduced this beer in 1998 and received first prize for Best Beer Overall of 1998 in BarleyCorn Magazine.

goz (358) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Pours a deep chestnut, with a large tan head that mostly recedes, leaving sheets of lace. Aroma is of dark roasty malts, backed with a slight fruitiness and a mild hoppiness. Flavor is of roasted malts, middle has a bit of fruitiness, and ending has a slight spicy hop finish. Medium bodied, smooth with a low carbonation level.

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - DEC 4, 2003
Looks like a dark smooth molassas, with a small bit of foam on its top. Smell is malty, with a tad roasted hint to it. Flavor is 'safe' : Not so strong to scare most beer fans away, but too simple to make a lasting impression.

Frank (4193) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2003 Coca-Cola brown with a small ring of white foam on top. Nose of dark malts--dark chocolate, coffee--with a slightly bitter age. The same goes for the flavor as well, though an interesting citrus not also develops. Very slightly tart. Medium bodied with somewhat sharp carbonation. A bit too hoppy for the style, which is a negative in this case; the over-aggressive hops hide a good deal of malt depth. As I sample more bottles, they become progressively less tolerable.

Dogbrick (13010) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2003
Pours a dark ruby-brown with a thin light tan head. Very thin and quick lacing. Aroma of coffee along with a bit of chocolate. Medium body as well. This beer is a little sharp on the front buy mellows a bit later on. There is a blend of sweet malt, caramel, coffee and some hops in the flavor, but none in abundance. The finish is mildly bitter. Overall this beer seems kind of lackluster.

tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2003
Not overly impressive - a decent malt base with a hint of a hoppy finish. Dark red/ruby color & a thick head. Body is a bit thin.

alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2003
first time having a dunkel. Thick creamy and tan head, lasting a while. Smell of malt and hops. Flavor is good, malty and hint of hops and some sort of fruit. Dry finish. All the reviews say that this is not a dunkel. I cannot attest for that, but I can say that I think it is a damn good beer.

bgarrigus (36) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 21, 2003
I'd put this one somewhere between a Dunkel and a Schwartzbier, personally. There's a bit too much sweetness to be a Dunkel for me. Great look, but the combination of sweetness and earthiness just doesn't work for me on this one. I've had it on tap and from a bottle, several times, and both times I've been left thinking that there was something missing.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - OCT 3, 2003
Pours very dark brown with little to no head retention. Not an easy beer to categorize. Fairly strong caramel flavor which finishes somewhat thin.

savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - SEP 28, 2003
I was "hooked" on Harpoon beers the first time I tried a pint of their IPA and the Munich Dark doesn't disappoint. It has a gorgeous caramel brown color and a wonderful malty aroma. It drinks very light and refrishing and not too sweet, but still quite malty. I had this in place of a more tradiotional Oktoberfest Marzen and I was very pleased. It has all the malty flavor of a good stout without the rough edges or hop accents. Just perfect.

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Lasting beige head on a deep copper/mohogany body. Aroma is of chocolate malt and toffee(diacetyl w/ crystal malt?) Very little Munich malt if any. Hop aroma is absent and is clean of any fruitiness. Very malty chocolate and caramel flavor, the diacetyl carries over into the flavor, but it's not unbearable, nor is it appropriate. It does however add a little complexity to a beer that needs it. Well balanced w/a slightly drier finish and a clean, chocolatey aftertaste. There's also a slight sourness probably from the dark grains. Hop finish described in the CD seems to be non existant. Moderate carbonation and fuller light bodied m/f. I'm thinking this bottle is a little past it's prime. The diacetyl in most darker beers has been due to a beer being over age in my experience. I could be wrong, but it's just my opinion. I'd like to try this one in a more fresh sample and I'll re rate if I get one.