overall
RATINGS: 502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Formerly known as Harpoon Munich Dark.

If all the beers we offered were based on sales numbers, our Dark would most likely be on the chopping block. But this beer has been a perpetual Harpooner favorite, and we couldn’t let it go. We recently introduced this beer in 22 oz. bombers with a new label and a new name – simply “Dark”. But it’s the same beer we’ve been brewing since 1998.

Description
A blend of specialty malts gives our Dark a velvety mouthfeel with roasted notes and a hint of chocolate, balanced by a subtle hop aroma. Hard to describe but easy to drink, Harpoon Dark is rich in character and light on the palate. The overall character is hearty malt and chocolate balanced with a crisp hop bitterness.

Old description: Inspired by the centuries-old Bavarian beer, our Harpoon Munich Dark has a dark, balanced maltiness complimented with a moderate hop finish. We introduced this beer in 1998 and received first prize for Best Beer Overall of 1998 in BarleyCorn Magazine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Frank (4150) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2003 Coca-Cola brown with a small ring of white foam on top. Nose of dark malts--dark chocolate, coffee--with a slightly bitter age. The same goes for the flavor as well, though an interesting citrus not also develops. Very slightly tart. Medium bodied with somewhat sharp carbonation. A bit too hoppy for the style, which is a negative in this case; the over-aggressive hops hide a good deal of malt depth. As I sample more bottles, they become progressively less tolerable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dogbrick (12626) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2003
Pours a dark ruby-brown with a thin light tan head. Very thin and quick lacing. Aroma of coffee along with a bit of chocolate. Medium body as well. This beer is a little sharp on the front buy mellows a bit later on. There is a blend of sweet malt, caramel, coffee and some hops in the flavor, but none in abundance. The finish is mildly bitter. Overall this beer seems kind of lackluster.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2003
Not overly impressive - a decent malt base with a hint of a hoppy finish. Dark red/ruby color & a thick head. Body is a bit thin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2003
first time having a dunkel. Thick creamy and tan head, lasting a while. Smell of malt and hops. Flavor is good, malty and hint of hops and some sort of fruit. Dry finish. All the reviews say that this is not a dunkel. I cannot attest for that, but I can say that I think it is a damn good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bgarrigus (36) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 21, 2003
I'd put this one somewhere between a Dunkel and a Schwartzbier, personally. There's a bit too much sweetness to be a Dunkel for me. Great look, but the combination of sweetness and earthiness just doesn't work for me on this one. I've had it on tap and from a bottle, several times, and both times I've been left thinking that there was something missing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - OCT 3, 2003
Pours very dark brown with little to no head retention. Not an easy beer to categorize. Fairly strong caramel flavor which finishes somewhat thin.

savitska (163) - Smyrna, Georgia, USA - SEP 28, 2003
I was "hooked" on Harpoon beers the first time I tried a pint of their IPA and the Munich Dark doesn't disappoint. It has a gorgeous caramel brown color and a wonderful malty aroma. It drinks very light and refrishing and not too sweet, but still quite malty. I had this in place of a more tradiotional Oktoberfest Marzen and I was very pleased. It has all the malty flavor of a good stout without the rough edges or hop accents. Just perfect.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Lasting beige head on a deep copper/mohogany body. Aroma is of chocolate malt and toffee(diacetyl w/ crystal malt?) Very little Munich malt if any. Hop aroma is absent and is clean of any fruitiness. Very malty chocolate and caramel flavor, the diacetyl carries over into the flavor, but it's not unbearable, nor is it appropriate. It does however add a little complexity to a beer that needs it. Well balanced w/a slightly drier finish and a clean, chocolatey aftertaste. There's also a slight sourness probably from the dark grains. Hop finish described in the CD seems to be non existant. Moderate carbonation and fuller light bodied m/f. I'm thinking this bottle is a little past it's prime. The diacetyl in most darker beers has been due to a beer being over age in my experience. I could be wrong, but it's just my opinion. I'd like to try this one in a more fresh sample and I'll re rate if I get one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsquire (4363) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Deep ruby red out of the bottle with a big frothy head that looked like a rootbeer float to me. Lots of attractive lace. Earthy grain nose. Surprisingly light on the palate given the look and aroma of this beer. Lots of roasted grain flavors. Bright sugar sweetness with vanilla bean and bitter chocolate. I was surprised how much I liked this beer. I will go buy more for the fall season.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - SEP 9, 2003
12 oz bottle, wine glass, 7/17/03 bottling, 55 degrees. Large, tan, frothy, creamy head is slowly diminishing. The body is a dark red-brown that is clear around the edges (no haziness). Caramel, nutty, toasted grain malt; flowery hops; clove and pepper aromas also. Moderately sweet, lightly bitter flavor becomes a lightly sweet, moderately bitter finish. Nice malt / hop combination. Medium-full body, watery but slightly dry texture, moderate carbonation. Slight coating effect detracts from the mouthfeel. The bottom line is: the best Harpoon I’ve had so far.