overall
RATINGS: 546   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The original German Oktoberfest was brewed with one celebratory festival in mind. Harpoon Octoberfest is brewed with TWO festivals in mind; our Octoberfests at our breweries in Boston, MA and Windsor, VT. We love the style and it’s a great beer for the fall season. In true Octoberfest tradition, we threw our first festival here at the brewery in 1990. There were a couple thousand people here celebrating amidst the brewing tanks. We can’t quite fit everyone in the actual brewery now – last year nearly 18,000 revelers attended our Boston Octoberfest and nearly 7,000 joined us at our brewery in Vermont the following weekend. Prost!

Description
Harpoon Octoberfest is a malty tribute to fall, balanced by a gentle hop bitterness. In keeping with tradition, it is a Marzen-style beer, brewed with abundant quantities of Munich, Chocolate, and Pale malts. Those malts provide a solid, full body and create the beer’s deep color. It is a rich, flavorful beer.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAR 18, 2004
This is definitely a beer that eats like a meal. Lots of malt backbone, that is very nice, has a slight bit of sweetness in the aftertaste. Very well balanced and enjoyable, which is more than I can say about most of their beers. Finishes with just a slight bit of hop bitterness.

ClarkVV (6757) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 3, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2015 2003 bottle. Deep amber-brown/mahogany, wavy and has some yellow tones. Good off-white head that lasts long. Smells lightly hopped, slightly tart and a touch of roast. Begins with a big slightly syrupy malt, that is chewy and lightly nutty. Body is a satisfying medium. Moderately carbonated. Finish has a big hops flavor for it. More so than traditional for the style I would think, as this one is not overly malted. But the hops taste fresh. Warming up, it gets sweeter, lightly chocolatey. I thought it much better than average.(7/4/7/4/16) 2004 bottle. Not quite as decent as I remembered. More watery, some fruity hops and a very dry malt. Light caramel/mild chocolate sweetness on the finish. Color, aside from being filtered, still looks impressive. (6/4/6/2/11)
Draught at Beacon Hill Pub, 9/24/15.
Wow, what the hell is this? Dark chestnut-amber with roastiness??!! in the flavor leading to spoiled fruits, nearly syrupy caramel and very little redeeming anything. Rating is for this recent sample.

CapFlu (5128) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 25, 2003
(Draught) Thin, almond head and copper body. Lightly carbonated. Light hops in nose and flavour. Average.

happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - NOV 16, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2004 Aroma of some nice malts at first then straight to the hops.I enjoy the hops in this one..A tongue tingler that reminds me of an amercan made EIPA crossed w/good octoberfest characteristics.Better than I expected.It left the essence of toasty chocolate and hops on my palate.

winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2003
Pours a nice amber color and has a wonderful malty sweet aroma. The balance between bitter and sweet is just right to make this a very enjoyable easy drinking beer. As it warms you get the real good caramel and spices flavors more prominately.

PhoebeDog (5) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 3, 2003 does not count
Harpoon makes a great IPA, but I keep wishing the rest of their work would keep up.

Ernest (7718) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Draught. Body is medium amber. Aroma is moderately malty (cookie, caramel), moderately hoppy (flowers, resin, pine). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter. Medium body, watery texture, lively carbonation, lightly metallic. A paint-by-numbers American-hopped Oktoberfest.

dberger624 (1028) - Voorhees, New Jersey, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Bottled. Nothing special here. Tasted like any other oktoberfest. Did have a slight bitter finish.

kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Lovely red/brown color. Light on the malt and a bit more hops than I'd expect (still not has hoppy as the Sierra Nevada O-fest)

bu11zeye (13029) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2003
(Draught) Pours a clear amber body with a medium white, frosty head. Descent malty tasting brew with hints of chocolate and citrus.