overall
Serve in Shaker

RATINGS: 124   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.93/5   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
When we first started thinking of a UFO summer seasonal, we knew we had our work cut out for us. We loaded up the vans for the beach and spent days “researching” every combination of fresh fruit juice and beer we could think of until we discovered a combination that made our decision easy.

Made with grapefruit juice.

LowBrau (139) - Tonawanda, New York, USA - MAR 22, 2017
Looks like grapefruit juice, pale hazy yellow with a pink tinge. Tastes like fizzy grapefruit juice, soft grainy-ness in the background. Tangy, not too sweet. Very enjoyable.

Travlr (24869) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - DEC 24, 2016
Bottle. Cloudy pink color, coca cola head. Grapefruit aroma. Taste is bittersweet citrus. Reminds me of some of the New England style IPAs. Haha.

CharmCityCrab (244) - Maryland, USA - AUG 9, 2016
I am usually not a fan of shandys. To me, when you mix half beer with half something else, the result is not a beer, it’s a hybrid. I like beer. However, the "not a beer" gut reaction aside, this shandy is actually pretty good. It has grapefruit, sugar, and beer tastes with just a hint of tangyiness. I actually went through these pretty fast in the mix pack they came in, so I’m reviewing from memory. It’s surprising, because I bought them not realizing that this beer was a shandy for whatever reason (Maybe because the it was a Harpoon "UFO" and I thought that the UFO tag was a specific beer I’d had in the past rather than a sort of sub-label that includes several different drinks in it’s "line") , and figured it’d be the part of the mix pack that’d sit for a while, but, actually, it went really fast. For whatever reason, it’s what I wanted to reach for a lot of the time. I still don’t feel it’s a real beer, but as a beverage, it’s pretty good.

gripweed57 (2463) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - JUL 30, 2016
12 ounce bottle. Cloudy orange gold color. Small white head disapates quickly. Aroma is redolent of grapefruit and overripe oranges. Tangy grapefruit flavor dominates the palate. Bittersweet fruit from start to finish. Highly carbonated. Cloying bittersweet fruit finish.

ROGUE (2215) - Lewes, Delaware, USA - JUL 27, 2016
On tap at SLL tasting. Pours a hazy yellowish-orange color. The nose is super citrusy but more like overripe oranges and grapefruits than fresh fruit. Grapefruit and orange flavors abound but this light-bodied concoction is more like a cocktail than a beer.

Ron (3961) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 7, 2016
Bottle. This poured a hazy light orange color with a white head. Aroma was pretty much all grapefruit juice. Flavor was similar with grainy character as well. Not really a great beer but not a bad drink and refreshing after a game of disc golf.

MaBeer1972 (2060) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JUL 2, 2016
Bottle from Table and Vine. A super cloudy pinkish orange color with a frothy off white head. Thick grapefruit juice texture and flavor. Refreshing and decent overall.

Larry_Duffman (536) - - JUN 29, 2016
I had it from the bottle. The taste is grapefruit, orange, and wheat. The citrus is fresh and refreshing. This is a good summer beer.

ronaldtheriot (1936) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - JUN 25, 2016
Harpoon’s UFO Big Squeeze Shandy has a thick, fizzy white head, which goes right away and an opaque orange-pink appearance. No lacing is left behind. The aroma is of grapefruit and sweet, somewhat yeasty, pale malt. Taste is of that, with no noticeable bitterness and a nice fruit tartness. Mouthfeel is high medium, and UFO Big Squeeze finishes medium dry and highly drinkable. RJT

Art (3217) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 20, 2016
Brews n chews. Seems like grapefruit shandys are my weakness. Cloudy orange yellow pour. Aromas of big grapefruit and orange citrus. Super refreshing.