overall

RATINGS: 33   MEAN: 3.51/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Harriet’s Dark Abbey is our tribute to the classic Belgian Dubbel. It pours brown with a persistent off-white head. Hints of chocolate and toast accent the beer’s malt-forward character. Fruity esters resembling raisins and other dried fruit are present, along with subtle spicy qualities. Medium bodied, effervescent, dry finish… remarkably drinkable.

emeinz (220) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 27, 2011
Growler to tulip. Aromas of dark sweet fruits and hints of molasses. Deep dark brown pour with white head. Get some interesting glimpses of the yeast. Slight off flavors at some points. Full bodied with some good carbonation. I like it, but it tasted a little inconsistent at times. Will need to revisit this beer for a second try some time

hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale über alles, Arizona, USA - NOV 8, 2011
from torino at rbwg 3/5/11. copper tinted brown with a thin ow head. aroma and flavor of banana, belgo yeastiness, bs, chocolate, raisins and spiciness. yeasty aftertaste. dece.

Trev (2023) - Lakeville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 25, 2011
The beer I liked the most from Harriet. Mahogany pour with toasted bready malt, chocolate, raisin fruitiness. Flavour was dark fruit, raisin sweetness, belgian yeastiness, rye bread, hint of spice.

DalzAle (2037) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Tap. Dark brown pour, plenty of carbonation and an aroma of sweet dark malt/sugars. Flavor is eerily remniscent of a homebrew I made a few years ago. Good dark fruits, raisins and the expected unique flavor from the belgian yeast. Good beer, but some of the flavors seems a little off (which is probably why it reminded me of homebrew.) Will probably try to rerate this one again down the road.

Skyview (6056) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - SEP 19, 2011
Sampled during Minnesota Autumn Brew Review 2011. Pours a hazy dark amber colored brew with a creamy off-white head that slowly dissipates to a cream top and some spotty lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, hint of tart berry Belgian yeast and some toffee. Taste is medium bodied, soft carbonation with flavors of caramel malt, toffee and some mild Belgian/Hefe yeast. Finish is slightly metallic, with a mild yeast and wheat aftertaste. This beer is closer to a Weizenbock profile than a Dubbel.

jcwattsrugger (12420) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUN 25, 2011
@RBWG-growler-thanks to T0rin0–pours a light tan head and amber color. Aroma is sweet fruit, medium malt. Taste is sweet fruit/some banana, medium malt-toffee, yeast, spice.

decaturstevo (6244) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAY 23, 2011
Brown pour with tan head and lace. Caramel, brown sugar,and light yeast. Bread, brown sugar, and light caramel malt. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 13, 2011
"Harriet Brewing Dark Abbey Dubbel, 64 ounce growler. And now, an orange growler. No matter what color, I firmly believe that they have the brewing world’s coolest, trippiest logo. It’s like those hops are in 3-D, comin’ at ya! Starts with a head, but it goes down a bit quickly. Mahogany hued, reddish-brown around the edges. Slightly sweet, caramel malt aroma, toffee, then the dark fruits turn up, some raisin and rum, a bit of fig. Taste: Sweet malt is full in charge, toffee flavors mix with dark rum, molasses, dark fruit. Very balanced, clean, with a well-rounded, judiciously sweet finish. Well-rounded is what I want to come back to, again and again. The IBUs are low, but the bitterness makes a mark. Very nice little buzz on the palate. Yum. I take another sip, and the flavor roars back. There’s fullness here, but it never spills over. Begins sweet, stays clean and lean, finishes very moderated. Is it strange that I’m applauding a beer for being restrained? It’s just right. I’m having a crisis of conscience. Have to recalibrate my recollections of what I like in dubbels. Do I really like them bigger and fatter and richer than this? Do I need them beefier and bolder? Is that truly my preference, or am I imagining it? Maybe it’s time for a little sit-down with some great dubbels and toss this one in the mix. I know it will hold it’s ground. All in all, I’m thinking ...what was I thinking? All misgivings are over and through. I am utterly and thoroughly happy with this brew. It has everything I want, and lacks nothing. It has nothing superfluous, and contains no unwanted elements. There is no lack of satisfaction in consuming this beverage. The growler is empty, the remains are in my glass. And it is excellent. It is exactly what is should be, and nothing of what it shouldn’t. This should make any beer lover happy. It’s doing it for me, that’s for sure. " I guess I did finish it, didn’t I? And a week later I did that blind tasting, matching Dark Abbey against Westmalle, North Coast’s Brother Thelonious, and Ommegang. I identified them all correctly, and the Harriet brew fell in last place. It’s fine, just doesn’t compare to those others, brewers that have been around for decades, mind you, when it comes to body, mouthfeel, and fullness of flavor.

SourNotes (104) - Bloomington, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2011
poured into the glass with a nice dark brown color, no haze at all with a nice Red/Amber highlight when the light shines through. 2 fingers of white foam head that fall into a nice thick lacing on the side of the glass with a film over the top. Smell is strong of banana with hints of chocolate, caramel, and some soft leather and tobacco notes. banana was a bit strong compared to the rest. Taste - the front end has some apricot, raisin, and cherry. very clean on the flavor, a bit of bruised apple and bruised banana as well. I caught a decent amount of bitterness to balance the beer out. some grain taste with powdered cocoa on the ends. the flavor hits very nicely on the onset but settles out over the middle. the finish is good and lingers on the tongue. carbonation was a bit fizzy (like forced CO2) where I might like it to be a bit more creamy. I’d say this is starting to border on a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Very flavorful dubbel.

Savvy1982 (1706) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 27, 2011
Growler at RBWG 2011 Grand Tasting. Pours clear brown, with an almost purplish flash. Thin off-white head, soft lacing, Nose is soft red fruit, light spice, strawberries and cherries. Flavours of cinnamon, red fruit, quite yeasty. Neat shit.