overall
Brewed by Harveys
Style: Imperial Stout
Lewes, England

RATINGS: 951   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned: 275ml. Has occasionally appeared on cask.

Imperial Extra Double Stout is regarded as one of the Worldís most unusual and prestigious beers. The recipe contains a dense concentration of varied malts and hops to produce a bottle conditioned stout of 9.0% ABV.

This brew will improve and develop complexity up to one year and has an intense flavour which is distinctive. The roast, alcoholic and spicy notes combine in this unusually sweet & sour beer.

Contains: Barley

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 13, 2003
2001 11.2 oz bottle pours pretty flat and thick and opaque. The aroma is solid roast malt and somewhat fruitcake like. The flavor is, well, like a cold and somewhat sour espresso. This one lacks much of what I expect of an Imperial Stout. It is really dry and the typical sweetness that I expect in the style just does not show at all. Perhaps too green? I even tried to go all the way up to near room temperature and still did not find the balance. I really gave it try... The palate was fairly rich with very little carbonation. Overall, this is one I will not seek out again.

1.4
chronictonic (472) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 10, 2003
I'm really hoping this was a bad bottle - tasted like burn plastic. Deep black color with a dark, foamy head. Aroma was very strong of licorice. I'll have to try this one again maybe.

frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 8, 2003
1999 Bottle. Opaque black body, with a dark brown head. Aroma is vinous, and chocolate. Dry roastiness, very smooth, slight chocolate flavors, good balance of hops. Well concealed 9% abv.

apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2003
Nearly no head over a thick, heavy body. Smells very strongly of molasses, dark chocolate and prunes. A little to thick in the mouthfeel for my taste, but the bitterness is very well-balanced. Lots of chocolate in the flavor, and a nice bitter-coffee bite to it. Nice!

notalush (5866) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 2001 bottle - One of the thickest, darkest pours Iíve seen, even in an Imperial Stout - the head is dark tan, but disappears rather quickly - aroma of chocolate, hops, coffee and port - flavor begins with a heavy dose of bitter-sweet bakerís chocolate, but is soon followed by plums, caramel, and port flavors, even a slight vinous character, perhaps even raisins - these slowly make way for a dark-roast coffee flavor and a hint of hops, both of which last into the long, satisfying finish - tiny alcohol burn in the finish leaves the tongue tingling - this is an outstanding beer experience - a must try for all fans of Imperial Stouts.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 1, 2003
Jesus! This is probablt the darkest beer I Have ever seen in my life. Not even the light that I hold it upto makes a dent, in this dense beast of a beer. Head is creamy and tan with a sweet frothiness that emenates from the aroma. A slightly sweet taste at first with definite hints of chocolate and carob in the aftertaste. Slightly oily, with a nice full feel in the mouth. I like drinking stouts like this every once in awhile. Very tasty!

BŁckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - SEP 23, 2003
Pours pitch black, no blacker with a initially tan head but then it evaporated rather quickly. Aroma is very fruity and hoppy with hints of port and chocolate. Flavor is slightly cloying with all this malt but the bittersweet hop bite in the end balances it out. This is a big and strong imperial stout, almost like the poseidon. Very good though, I haven't had one of these in a while.

Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - SEP 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2005 1999 bottle: Smells like molasses and soy sauce. Poured out like it was molasses. Seriously, I feel like Iím eating sushi because of the soy sauce. From reading te ratings, I guess itís supossed to be like this. No carbonation, oily thick. Finish has a bit of chocolate coming through the soy sauce taste. The guy that said this is like Sam Adams tripple bock is right. Itís one of those "Iím not quite sure what to think beers" Iím not sure if I enjoy this or need to wash my mouth out. Rerate 062605- 2000 bottle: I primed my taste buds with 4 Miller Lites before this. I needed something heavy, so this got the nod. Looks greasy, opaque, and black. First smell and I get a lot of red wine including some sourness and alcohol. Upon closer wiff, I get some chocolate. Flavor is very woody, winey, sour, tannic with a touch of chocolate milk. I donít get the soy sauce I got last time; maybe just a little. Body is kind of watery. Aftertaste is long, woody, dry and bitter. I like it more this time than last. It would be nice if it was sweeter and the chocolate I got in the nose was more noticeable in the flavor. No change in score.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - SEP 9, 2003
1999 bottle. Dark black, if that's possible, with zero head or carbonation. Cork was a pain to get out. Strong aroma: liquorice, port, hickory(?). Sweet up front, somewhat earthy, with coffee aftertaste. Big-bodied, somewhat oily. Well hidden 9%abv. Not great, but very interesting.

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - SEP 7, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 29, 2008 RERATE: 2003 vintage and served in my Stone IRS snifter: Inky black with again no head but did produce some oily legs. Again the nose detects a very vinous nature with heavy molasses, fig and cherry along with a lacto sourness. Some charred malt, oak, and peaty bog moss also found on the aroma. The taste starts twangy fruit and acidic sourness over a layer of black malt and rye bread. The finish has a weird bitterness that I am not sure is from hops or coffee. Woody and dry as well. I am respecting this brew a lot more now but still not digging the whole experiance. Ar: +2 Ap: +1 F: +2 P: +2 and O: +2

Original review of 2000 vintage (AVOID, 2.2): Absoulute blackness with zero carbonation, looks like cough syrup. Very oily top which does produce some clear tears on my Expedition Stout glassware. Very vinous aroma, eiswine quality. Fruity, woody, molasses and earthy in nature. I didnít get any of a salt smells others have detected however. A syrupy sticky sweet mouthfeel accompanies the maple and ripe berry fruit taste. Earthy and alcoholic finish. This beer has seen itís better days I hate to say. Find a fresher vintage which Iím going to do and rerate.