overall
Brewed by Harviestoun
Style: Old Ale
Alva, Central, Scotland

RATINGS: 317   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Ola Dubh (or ‘Black Oil’) is a collaboration between Harviestoun Brewery and Highland Park, Distiller of the Year*. It is based on Harviestoun’s award-winning Old Engine Oil. With more than a stylistic nod to the classic Imperial Porters (and Stouts) of the nineteenth century, this deliciously rich, dark, 8% a.b.v. beer is the first ale to be aged in malt whisky casks from a named distillery and, with traceable casks and numbered bottles, the first with genuine provenance. This version is aged in Highland Park 40 Year whisky casks.

corkitad (19) - Oregon, USA - OCT 26, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2010 Couldn’t have said it any better than Otakuden. Just do yourself a favor and buy a few of these beauties

Elkas (220) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2010
330ml bottle from the LCBO. Special thanks to my brother in law who works downtown Toronto for leaving work early to go pick this up for me. Pours black, with an almost black ring of foam. Aroma is big. Smell the whisky! Very rich, like a port. A nice unique drink.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 25, 2010
Bottle 235 thank you Derweg aka Belgian! Had this on our anniversary weekend retreat to Prince Edward County. Deep black pour, nice brown head. Fantastic whiskey aroma, earthy, wood. Taste is what all barrel aged beers should strive for: incredible balance of whiskey barrel hotness/sweetness + substantial body of beer behind it. Taste is so good - the hints of whiskey, lots of wood, plus the roast and wood of the original beer. I am not a fan of these barrel aged beers that I have had so far: of the 50 or so I have had, I’ve enjoyed 5. But this one is spot on and an amazingly complex drink. I actually found it very drinkable surprisingly. I wish I had more of this rare treat, it was so good. Thank you Jonas for the trade, the wait was worth it.