H.C. Berger Bombay Express Ale

overall

RATINGS: 26   MEAN: 2.89/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.88/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%

Drew (2470) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2002
color was o.k. more malt than hop flavor. the label led me to believe it would be an IPA. it was definitely not. as with some of their other brews, it had an off taste, kind of tart? could have been a lot better.

PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - JAN 4, 2002
BOMBAY IS EXCELLENT, I LOVE THIS STUFF!! HAS A FAINT VANILLA AROMA, AND IS A LOVELY AMBER HUE. YOU CAN REALLY GO WILD ON THIS BREW AND I AM ADVISING YOU TO DO SO...NOW!!

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JAN 1, 2002
Orange in color; no head; typical pale ale nose. This is one of those Jeckyl and Hyde beers, because aesthetcally (sp?) it did nothing for me- no head, no excitement in the nose. But the sharp hops on the sides of your tongue were nice and the Cascades were hidden in the back as a nice afterthought.

Brent (116) - Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA - SEP 26, 2001
I was a little let down as the name led me to expect an IPA (where is Bombay, anyway?). Not a bad beer, though. Very subdued and mildly hopped. Smooth.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 1, 2001
Like all the Berger beers I've tried so far, this is a little thin-bodied; they don't know from a decent head at this brewery. But that said, this is a reasonably flavorful and perfectly drinkable bitter ale.

Indra (2710) - Suburbia, Kansas, USA - AUG 5, 2001
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2003 Aroma is very fruity and malty. Very nice deep amber color. Carbonation and head are somewhat on the light side. Flavor profile is quite malty, with the afore-mentioned fruitiness being quite evident. Finish has this maltiness, which is quite unique, mingling with some nice hop flavors. Quite a different beer for me. Not quite sure what style this would be...I guessed by the name it would be an IPA, but no way. ESB seems a likely category.