overall
Brewed by Williams Brothers (Heather Ales)
Style: Traditional Ale
Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 1340   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Filtered
Ingredients: Malts: British Pale Ale Malt, Cara Malt, Malted Wheat. Heather, Bogmyrtle.
The Brotherhood have been guardians of the ancient Gaelic recipe for "leann fraoich" (heather ale) since 1988 and are proud to be the only brewery still producing this unique style of beer and distributing it world wide. A light amber ale with floral peaty aroma, full malt character, and a spicy herbal finish - This beer allows you to literally pour 4000 years of Scottish history into a glass.
Into the boiling bree of malted barley, sweet gale and flowering heather are added, then after cooling slightly the hot ale is poured into a vat of fresh heather flowers where it infuses for an hour before being fermented.

Padron4KM (810) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2004
Pours a orangy-yellow with a thin head. Lively carbonation Aroma is mostly malty. Flavor is slightly honey-like with a slight bitterness. Interesting beer but not enough to make me buy it again

1.3
Belly Full O Beer (57) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - JUL 27, 2004
Not a fan of this beer. Only beer I’ve not been able to finish. Tasted like cigar ash. Not the right beer for me.

Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - JUL 21, 2004
Pours golden orange with a nice white head. The nose comes off real smooth and soft, a mix of maple syrup, malt, and honey. I really like the smell of this... One of the best I have ever put my nose to. The taste is very smooth with hints of honey and spices. This ale is very interesting. I don’t know what heather smells or tastes like, but if it is represented correctly here I would like to seek out this intriguing flower.

JFGrind (2054) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
I’ve only had one Heather Ale before this one. Just an average beer, slight hops, grassy aroma and easy to drink. I didn’t feel the "full malt character" but Fraoch did have a dry finish.

PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
A heather ale that poured a a bit cloudy golden amber producing a standard head of white. Aroma was almost too much to take but on the palate the beer proved to be very dry. An interesting heather ale.

obxdude10 (2347) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Amber color, bubbly white head, sweet floral nose, decent balance, medium in body, nice malt character, a bit of a dry finish, decent ale

Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - JUL 4, 2004
Amber coloured. Very nice and interesting aroma of flowers, spices and heather. Sweet flavour with notes of honey.

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 1, 2004
Gold Coloring. White Head. Assuming what I tasted was Heather...tasted floral/herbs. In Scotland the Kelpie was my favorite...imported, this is my preferred along with the Alba

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2004
From the Sharp Edge Beerfest smelled like a crap lager, but only tasted like a average lager... nothing special at all.....ack

Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUN 28, 2004
A bland somewhat ugly color with a slightly skunky aroma. Bad the taste really wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. Not sure but I think it may have just been a bad bottle.