overall
Brewed by Williams Brothers (Heather Ales)
Style: Traditional Ale
Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland

RATINGS: 755   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Bottled. A cask version is available from May to July.
"Seaweed Ale"
Prior to the 1850's there were many Scottish coastal alehouses which brewed their own ales, these ales were made from local malted barley which was grown on fields fertilised with seaweed. This environment gave the barley a very specific flavour which we have recreated by the inclusion of fresh seaweed in the mash tun. In addition to the seaweed (bladder rack) harvested on the Argyll coast we have used only organically grown malt - the darker malts roasted by ourselves.
Kelpie is a rich chocolate ale which has an aroma of fresh seabreeze and a distinctive malty texture.
Drink lightly chilled in a wine glass.

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Bottle

I was surprised when I poured this one. I had expected it to be of a lighter hue. Dark brown with an off white, almost tannish head that dissapeared while I wasn’t looking. The aroma is full of strong roast with tones of smoke. There is just this little odd quality to the aroma that enhances its uniqueness. I like it. The way the chocolate blends in with the roast is what does it for me. The roast carries over to the flavor as well. There is the chocolate, but it is not as prominent. I can actually taste the seaweed though. The body is fairly thin and watery, and the mouthfeel is slippery or oily. It finishes off with a ghost of the seaweed and plenty of roastiness.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 30, 2005
in the 0.33 L bottle. Pours black as coal. Dark beige head. Pretty decent head retention - a beautiful beer. Aroma is smoky, roasted, and a little medicine-like. Flavor is a dry, baking chocolate flavor. The body is medium, neither think nor thin. Good have a significant increase in gravity and still be good. Crisp finish, not much of a finishing flavor. It’s different and I like different.

ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Pours dark nutty brown. Smells like honey, tastes like sweetened fruit vinegar mixed with porter (in a good way, mind). Palate is thinner than I expected, and aftertaste a bit sour. Not bad, and definitely worth the kitsch value.

Garrat (1347) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - JAN 13, 2005
From the bottle.Black in colour,small head,butterscotch angel delight and salted dark chocolate flavours.A Cthulhu of an ale.

hopdog (12341) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2005
Poured a dark reddish, brown with a large (3 finger) tan head. Roasted and chocolate aromas. Nice smelling. Different tasting. Light saltiness (must be the seaweed) in the taste.

XO (52) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2004
When I saw this in the cooler of my local beer store, I had to give it a try, although I was a bit skeptical. I’m glad I did. It pours very dark with a tan head that dissolved away fairly quickly. The aroma is a bit hard to describe - choclate, coffee. I could bairly detect the kelp, I was expecting a mouhful of seaweed! Had a touch of saltiness in the aftertaste that stayed awhile.

Grandpa (327) - Verona, New York, USA - DEC 10, 2004
A dark brewwith a good head. It left sip lines but the head faded quickly. The brew is dark but not strong. A good, but not a lasting flavor, slightly sweet but pleasant. It had a short aftertaste.

hopscotch (11044) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 29, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2007 Bottle... Extremely dark Scotch ale. Crystal clear crimson when held up to bright light. Small, creamy, well-tanned head with decent retention and stratus lacework. The aroma is malty with notes of must, sweat, chocolate, toffee and very light smoke. The flavor is mostly nondescript, but very well-balanced with tiny notes of earth, toffee and smoke... a whisper of salt. Medium-bodied with an oily mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Short, crisp, clean finish. Thanks to robertsreality for the bottle.

DeepBlack (386) - Derby, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - NOV 8, 2004
Bought in the bottle from the excellent "Beers of Europe" shop near Kings Lynn. Very dark Red-ish Black colour. Smell of Iodine & tastes of Chocolate. Hmmmm reading that back it sounds bad, but it was very nice :)

dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 3, 2004
Does one dare try a seaweed beer? Why yes they should!! Chocolate and mahogany with more than enough roasted lurking stuff to compliment a good serving of seaweed. Fresh and tasty indeed!