overall
RATINGS: 1353   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 218   ABV: 7.25%
Style: American IPA
Hops: Warrior, Simcoe, Palisade, Centennial, Cascade, Citra
Malts: 2-Row, Caramalt, Munich

Our flagship beer, Loose Cannon wins people over at first smell. The carefully cultivated interplay of Simcoe, Palisade, and Centennial creates a most fragrant IPA—its nose bursts with notes of grapefruit, herbs, and pine. Bitterness is somewhat subdued by the floral quality that pervades the taste. The color is burnished gold, and the mouthfeel is creamy. A strong malt backbone balances out the triple-hopped beer. Its nickname, Hop3, comes from the brewing process: our brewers hop Loose Cannon in the boil, the hopback, and the fermenter. It won a second place CAMRA award at the 2010 Great British Beer Festival.

Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 11, 2006
Merci Ruth! Robe cuivrée très claire surmontée d’une mousse blanche qui s’estompe. Arômes amères de conifères. Saveurs de conifère, de malt caramélisé, d’alcool et d’agrumes.

intouch (18) - Lewisberry, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 11, 2006
I don’t know about all of these descriptive adjectives that folks use for beer. I do, however, know what I like and this is a damn fine beer. It’s not over hopped (I’ve had much hoppier) and not overly bitter for an IPA. It’s just a good solid drinkable beer. I would certainly server it to company and recommend it to friends.

Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Poured a reddish orange with decent off-white head. Floral hop aroma. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Orange, lemon, pine, spice, and a dash of earth. The alcohol hits you after a while, and in more ways than one. Nice finish. A good IPA.
I did drink this beer while I watched Billy Wilder’s "The Lost Weekend". The movie kind of zapped me out of the mood for beer.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2006
On tap, this is a very solid IPA. Hazy golden with a thick white head. Grassy aroma with some yeast and sweetness to it. Tastes is a blend of floral hops and english style malts almost like a hoppy ESB or an Imperial ESB. Quick dry finish.

Strykzone (7796) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
First taste I found here was bitter hops. The bitterness never left but some malts soon became evident. Typically IPAs are quite sour tasting but this one was not. The malts gave it a sweetness which I found appealing. IPAs are not my favorite style of beer but this one was exceptional.

beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Bottle. Golden pour, fairly clear, decent head. Hoppy citrus and floral/grassy aroma. Medium sweet caramel malt body with copious amounts of citrus and a touch peppery hops. Maybe a tad thin, but very good overall.

brentfeesh (1216) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAR 6, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2008 Golden straw pour with a medium white head. Nice grassy-spicy hoppy aroma. That’s it, that’s the dominant aroma…hops! Spicy, hoppy taste too (surprise). VERY light malt in the background. Spicy alcohol greats you at the finish. This is hop forward and dominant. Body is adequate. Not bad, but very bitter.

It is possible that I rated the wrong beer in this catagory before. I’ve had this a couple of times since this old rating and I just don’t understand it (a bad bottle perhaps). I increased points on the aroma as I thought you could smell the delicious grapefruit and oragne aroma across the room. Notes on the taste included a solid malt presence with caramel and roasted grain/buscuit. Ruby red grapefruit hops frits followed by passion fruit and orange. 2 more points there. And up on for the palate. All and all, something I enjoy.

Cletus (6368) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 4, 2006
One year old bottle cellared. Pours coppery with a very nice lasting white head that provides excellent lacing throughout the drinking. Smells yogurty and not as hoppy (to be expected from an older bottle). Tastes blend very well with nice citrussy bites and amarillo hops really shining through. A great balanced IPA with an excellent hops profile even at one+ years old. The malt backbone of caramel, toffee and some banana elements compliment the hops well. I need to find a fresh bottle to compare.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - MAR 4, 2006
Draft, Baja Bean, Staunton VA. Yellow gold with white head. Nose is a blast of hops, from citrusy, with grapefruit and lemon, to piney and earthy and also herbal. Medium bodied, well balanced bitterness and fantastic hop flavors throughout, not at all overbearing as the name might imply. The alcohol is well masked, I wouldn’t have pegged this as one of the heavy seas series. Quite tasty.

Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2006
Bottle Pours a hazy yellow with a good white head, which is fairly lasting and produces good lacing. Has a strong hoppy aroma of spruce and pine. Smells like a dense forrest. Has good carbination and mouthfeel. Has a muted bitter taste, much lighter than the aroma would lead you to believe. Has a nice finish with a decent aftertaste. This is a fairly decent beer.