overall
RATINGS: 1144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the death of Lenny Bruce: A Rye based double IPA. Brewed with an obscene amount of malts and hops. Shocking flavors - Far beyond contemporary community standards. The Most Radical Jewish Tribute Beer ever created. 10% alc. -- Malts: 2-row, Rye Ale Malt, Torrified Rye, Crystal Rye 75, Crystal Malt 65, Wheat, Kiln Amber, Caramel 70 -- Hops: Warrior, Cascade, Simcoe, Crystal, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial. Dry Hopped with Amarillo and Crystal

marv3mania's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
marv3mania (195) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - JUL 6, 2013
12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Appearance is dark copper with a good-sized off-white head which leaves significant lacing. The aroma is intense citrus, bitter hops, and some slight earthiness and spiciness. The taste follows the nose. Good feel. This beer has a very strong, bitter taste, but it is very good.

Bill Becker (2007) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 21, 2017
From Oct 2008 I got this bottle in a trade with nutbown. Thanks Alan! This pours a deep amber gold with a small head of foam. Again, there's lots of lacing like the others I've tried from them. The smell is both hoppy and malty. Good notes of caramel and light floral hops with a rather strong peppery presence. My nose is happy. The taste is stronger than the smell when it comes to the hops. Floral and piney hops dominate with a strong pepper spice flavour and a mild caramel malt backbone that I wish was more assertive. Dang, this is spicy and it makes me take long breaks between the sips. The alcohol is also more assertive than I care for and not nearly as well hidden as in their Jewbelation 11. The mouthfeel is medium and nice, the carbonation is medium, and it finishes very bitter with some sweet tones though, I can't say that it's anywhere near balanced. Bottom line: This one just doesn't do it for me and finishing the bomber will be a chore. Too much hop bitterness and pepper spice for the amount of malt that I can taste. Too extreme for me? I think so.

Ebenezer (13) - - AUG 29, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2017 On tap and 12-oz bottle. My all-time personal favorite. No kidding about the 'obscene amount of malt and hops.' Big rich round full-bodied full-throttle delicious brew.

Bosco (356) - Boca Raton, Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2017 Deep copper amber, persistent off white head and lacing. Sweet, caramel camdy, bourbon with mild even bitterness throughout. The astringent, peppery rye notes I was looking for were barely there. $3.79/12oz bottle from Total Wine and More, Boca Raton, Florida

packman69 (1) - - AUG 17, 2017 does not count
Tasted from the bottle, bought in Cincinnati at my local Jewish deli. Oy vey! This is a solid brew! I was happy to be a circumcised man of god when I put this rye IPA to my orthodox lips. Surely a goy couldn't handle this beer, it's as strong as Abraham, and as fertile as the lords good soil. The flavor on my tongue was hefty malts and fruity hops with just a hint of rye whisky. Let gods chosen people rejoice, Shmaltz has done it again! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mike67 (1287) - , New Jersey, USA - APR 24, 2017
12 oz bottle. Pours dark amber with tall, long lasting, fluffy off-white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of caramel malt, citrusy hops and ripe fruit. Body is full and slightly crisp. Citrusy, herbal hops, caramel malt and tropical fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long, huge, and dry. Outstanding brew.

chriszfat (84) - Lake stevens, Washington, USA - JUN 4, 2016
From a bottle pours dark amber and clear with a decent head. Smell is malty and can smell the rye also. Taste is sweet Carmel and whiskey, too sweet. Some lasting bitterness but not enough for the overpowering sweetness and malt.

BrewBrain (180) - Florida, USA - JUN 2, 2016
Dark amber pour with foamy tan head. Aroma is caramel, whiskey, orange. Very sweet citrus whiskey-like flavor. Moderate bitter very sticky finish. Too much caramel malt.

polo_marco (333) - milton, Vermont, USA - MAY 27, 2016
Smells of bread sweet malts Orange pulp and slight booze scent. Dark red amber color. Sweet malt come out at first then hoppy citrus fruits with a wine like finish a taste that I dislike but can handle cause it’s suddel. Medium sticky body with lite carbonation. Brews a bit malty and boozy for what I enjoy for an IPA even one with this high ABV. But this could use more hop flavor. Not bad overall.

fuzzcro (295) - Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2016
Much too bitter for my liking. Out of my normal brew comfort zone. Trying to spread my wings with new types...this however, was way off the mark.

oldrtybastrd (5228) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 15, 2016
Pours a deep dark orangish amber color. Aromas of big hop action, sweet malts, and more hops. Flavor has some bready malty tastes with nice grapefruit and floral hop taste.