He'Brew Funky Jewbelation 2013

RATINGS: 109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
The eighth member in Shmaltz Brewing’s Limited Engagement Barrel-Aged series, Funky Jewbelation features a blend of six ales and lagers from the Shmaltz beer lineup aged in bourbon and rye whiskey barrels, and hustles in at 9.4% alc. Funky Jewbelation is an expert mash-up of Jewbelation 15 (aged seven and ten months), Origin Pomegranate Strong Ale (aged 11 months), Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A. (aged 12 months), Messiah Nut Brown Ale (aged 6 months), Coney Island Lager (aged 12 months), and Albino Python (aged 3 months). (Silver Medal Winner at the 2014 World Beer Cup)

Sperine (283) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 23, 2013
On tap at Toronado San Francisco. One of the most interesting beers I have ever had. I never would have expected a ridiculous beer mash up like this to be so damn good.

Brewdork (234) - Sanford, Florida, USA - JAN 25, 2014
12 oz. bottle (although once again labeled as a 22 oz.) poured into snifter. Pours opaque deep brown with a tinge of ruby coloring and a thin wisp of creamy tan head that quickly subsides. Aroma is sour plums and cherries with notes of wood and leather. Tart flavor up front that transitions nicely into the woody elements and a soy sauce finish. While there’s certainly a lot going on here in the flavor department, neither the sourness or the alcohol is overpowering. Another win from He’Brew.

BigHoss (172) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - APR 14, 2013
Pours a very dark brown with med tan head. I smell malt, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon and some tart sweet fruit. I taste all of the same! It’s kind of sweet and sour, very complex. Damn Good!!!

Wordsworth (166) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAR 30, 2013
This beer rocks. Bomber poured in pint. Awesome dark dark red color with a thin khaki head. Smells fruity and of sweet molasses. The flavor profile is eye popping and bounces off the tongue. So much going on. Passion fruit, molasses, caramel, whiskey and everything in between. A truly awesome beer. One of a kind.

BeerSquare (117) - - MAR 19, 2013
Oh my. . . I always knew I loved a funky jew, but I never fully appreciated it. . . At first whiff, I paused and logged on to ratebeer. Clearly this is something huge. Looks like motor oil doing a guiness impression. Smells like cake, ice cream, hops, malt-- like a smorgasbord of beer desert. Taste: Like a slow motion slap across the face-- a gentle, teasing slap, delivered at about .25 miles per hour. First it’s sharp, roasty and very thick tasting-- beer milk shake consistency, which goes nicely with the aroma. But then the taste blooms into some very sharp hop notes. Floral flavors dominate for a few seconds, before dissolving into an extremely sweet finish that develops for a good minute or so after swallowing, starting with melon and berry flavors that seem to dissolve into more subtle banana & butterscotch, until it all just vanishes like a few grains of cane sugar that dissolve on the tongue. One of the most complex and interesting beers I’ve ever tasted. Not high on drinkability, as it really does slap you around with every sip (and is almost 10%abv). But for a taster, sipper, savorer-- especially on a cold day like today. . . absolutely top notch brew.

whatsupstairs (112) - Inland Empire, California, USA - JUN 16, 2013
bottle thanks to bklab this i a way out there brew poured jet black thin tan neck ok this is why i didnt just talk shit about this beer cause the nose is toasty vanilla dark wet wood and some cherry funk taste was prune juice and alcohol there was some wood maybe im not sure if its a sour or just way to much going on idk

9er (100) - Maryland, USA - OCT 18, 2013
Sour shit beer! This tastes like a mellow yellow, with a splash of lemon juice. I hate that I wasted my money on this terrible beer. This will be my next marinade for my lamb since it’s not worthy of consumption.

pet22 (87) - Delano, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2013
This beers flavor is unlike any other I have experienced. It should be your first and last beer for the night. Funky is the only way to describe it.