overall
Brewed by Heineken Nederland
Style: Pale Lager
Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

RATINGS: 3755   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
100% Barley malt, choice hops and pure water give this brew unsurpassed clarity.

rlgk (18850) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 15, 2004
Golden with an ok but quite quickly disappearing white head. Weak but ok aroma and a flavor that passes as ok. Some malt, some hops and a bitter finish.

PatMac (17) - Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 15, 2004
Don’t know why I like this one, but it has a distinct flavor. Goes good with a second one and gets better from there. Smells like a frat house rug. I perfer it chilled well and tried the 22 oz bottle once and it tasted better? Usaully the best option beyond the screw tops.

yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2004
Somewhat skunky smell, but tastes ok. I sure wouldn’t choose this, given a choice, but its adequate.

diabel (1714) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - OCT 10, 2004
White, fizzy head. Good lace. Pale, yellow body. Smells like a beer, when opened for 12 hours.: lightly yeasty, ligthly soapy. Lightly sweet, lightly bitter initial flavour. Lightly bitter finish.

burcusabrews (106) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Very light yellow with a white head. Big saaz nose but not much else. Very thin mouthfeel. Watery taste, some malt adn some hops. Clean finish, could use more malt and flavor. Overall, it is a very drinkable beer better than the cheaper american lagers, but still not something that you enjoy or appreciate.

Mullo (102) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - OCT 4, 2004
I went to the brewery once and thought it was fantastic (I even bought a shirt). This one was out of a can, and it could have beeen better. Little to no aroma. Pleasantly sweet (banana/bubblegum flavours), and lightly hopped. Slight soapiness. Crap gassing. I’m sure the draft I had at the brewery years ago tasted much better.

Dimitri99 (63) - USA - OCT 3, 2004
I enjoy Heineken. Prior to starting the whole rate beer thing, it was one of my favorites. Still not too bad for me.

1.3
punkeedo (498) - Covington, Louisiana, USA - OCT 2, 2004
Hmmm...another crappy pale lager. Why am I not surprised? Well, it’s watery and tastes similar to Bud...maybe a bit sweeter? Not worth drinking, unless you’re poor, which I am. But I still would choose water over it. Plus, water’s better for the system.

Barleyman (6) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2004 does not count
This pale lager is substantially better than any American mass produced pale lager I’ve had. Pours with a full head and pale yellow color. Tangy hops astringency lingers for a good long moment making it quenching and refreshing. (Was tasted from can)

mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - SEP 25, 2004
Probably my favorite every day beer or beer to order at a nice restaurant when I don’t want liquor or the place stocks nothing creative. It’s in the process of being upstaged by a lot of other Euro-lagers that have made their way to the US in a big way. Heineken smells like a locker room, but it tastes pretty darn good. Funny how everyone comments on the smell.