overall
RATINGS: 770   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A unique Highland creation, this robust beer is black in color, very malty with hints of chocolate-roasted flavor and a well balanced hop character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - OCT 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2006 Rerate with beer brewed in Asheville: Mocha colored head on a classically colored red hued, black body. Aroma has some dark fruit, particularly cherry, milk, charcoal roast, orange rind fruit, and a smokey, bacon-like character. Flavor is orange rind fruit and roasty chocolate, a good balance and originality for an American porter. Contract brewed bottle:SCORES 6 1 6 2 11. Opaque, black with a light, brown head (possibly the darkest porter I have ever seen). Chocolate and coffee with milk aroma and some green hop (somewhat unidimensional). Flavor is mild...some green hop, chocolate and espresso. Decent dark ale but rather ameateurish compared to their other beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Color as black as Lincolns hat, with a thick, lush tan head. Aroma is soft, sweet, light, and very oaty! Nice presence upon the palate, very smooth, though not too strong on flavor. Solid, sturdy, and full-bodied. Nutty flavors come through, more sweet maltiness, significantly less hops. I did enjoy this "oatmeal" porter. "Oatmeal" porter? Got to hand it to Highland, its a new one on me! Ive never been to North Carolina, but if I ever go, Ill know what to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
apost8n8 (123) - USA - OCT 25, 2004
Wow! After working several days and nights my fellow workmates and I decided a refreshing drink was in order to replenish our strength and resolve to finish our task. Off we trekked to the local brewpub with hops and barley malt memories on our tastebuds. Too our total shock they were completely out of beer! No porters, no ales, no blondes, no pilsners. Macrobrewed pale water was our only resort. With great displeasure we made our sore order. A few minutes later with expectations so low our waiter returned with four Highland Oatmeal Porters in Hand! What is this new brew. It poured black with a frothy head delicious hoppy start with smooth chocolate and caramel malty finish. I had to have another. Twas a fine fine day.

biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 24, 2004
ON tap at Summits Wayside Tavern...EXCELLENT porter from Highland..Nice roasted malt flavors companied with chocolate and some bitter coffe flavor...Thick and sustaining this beer could be a meal on its own. Very pleasantly suprised by this a quality porter from a smallish brewery in the mountains of NC.

postmodern (1) - USA - OCT 19, 2004 does not count
This my favirite beer, poter is my far the best form of beer for me. I had this in Gatlingburg, Tn at a pub please pick this beer up abd give it a try

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2004
A very good surprise, a well made porter with choc. overtones and without the west coast need to hop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rynoSx (29) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - OCT 14, 2004
This is the only real porter that I can drink and enjoy every last sip. I savor this beer from the minute I get it until the minute it is gone. It is great on tap or bottled. I drink it faster on tap though. Highly recommend it to people that like light or dark beers.

jcc83 (137) - Athens, Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2004
My 100th rating! On tap at the Foundry. Opaque black body with tinges of red around the edges, with a creamy thick tan head; a pleasure to look at. Sweet, smoky aroma of coffee and bitter chocolate. Flavor is likewise big and malty, with excellent chocolate/espresso notes and a great roastiness. Thick, luscious, and creamy in my mouth, this beer really satisfies. Yum.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
dan0 (9) - Elon, North Carolina, USA - OCT 2, 2004 does not count
I really enjoyed this beer. Pours a very dark color that is simply a joy to look at. Head is a Guinnessy tan color that dissipates quickly but smells completely amazing. The aromas range from a dark chocolate to a molasses and brown sugar and the flavor matches nearly perfectly. A perfect beer that reminds me of grandmas oatmeal/chocolate-chip cookies. In my mind, this is exactly the kind of thing to look for from a good local southern brewery. Highly reccomended and a beer I will definately look for in the future.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 2, 2004
Not a bad brew at all. Thick like molasses nice tan head about a 1/4 in thick. Flattens out. Nose is pretty rusty smelling. Subdued chocolate and maybe just a hint of brown sugar and oats...mainly just roasty. Flavors are well balanced. The roasted grains and the hops really do compliment each other very well. Roasted, bitter, and with that medicine like sweetness that oatmeal gives off I like this its not bad at all. Would love to see an amped up version of it. G-rat