overall
RATINGS: 760   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
A unique Highland creation, this robust beer is black in color, very malty with hints of chocolate-roasted flavor and a well balanced hop character.

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - NOV 24, 2004
Thick and elusive dark brown, caramel slivered highlights at the bottom and edges, slim tan cap, thin collaring sits at the edge, minimal lace in stringy globs and spots. Aroma has a nice smooth chocolate tone, reminscent of a fudge cake with whispering notes of roast, cocoa, hazelnut, and coffee. Taste is immediately full with a smooth carbonation, yet unfulfilling in any substantial character for something that states "Oatmeal" on it. The oats are very tame way underneath and not nearly as sweet as some stout styles that I like. Here, the chocolate makes for a decent measure of the middle and end flavors, nothing up front to speak of, quite empty in that regards, with the exception of the full-on carbonation that instantly takes hold (get ready for some burpin’). Slight roast with a bit of a burnt return of coffee and cocoa, and that small oatyness tangled in makes up for a good finisher. Finish makes up for a lacking front. Drys out and lingers with some staying power of those things mentioned above. Nice there, but that front, takes a bit to long for it to take control for me to immense a favorable balance in character. Feel is smooth and well carbonated, medium fullness for its body me thinks; chocolatey middle, and finishes stronger then the beginning with a slight and favorable drying. A nice drinker, goes down well and displays a good body, texture, and finish, but something about it doesn’t quite pull it through for me. Although, I’d slurp this down again at the drop of a hat any Ol’ day, no prob. And I like the idea of a porter with oats(ehhemm, Viking Whole Stein) so its fine by me.

ericnixon (745) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Faint choco aroma over a dark brown color. Fizzy mouthfeel that steps aside to reveal a very watery beer in the swallow. Yeah, there’s the roasted malty choco in there, but the watery-ness of it is too much of a turn off for me.

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Dark ruby with a thin off-white head. Sweet coffee with mild roast, light carbonation with a sweet beginning and ending.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Now this is a nice porter. Pours a dark brown with a tan head. Has a roasted coffee flavor with a kick of choclate. Has a roasted aroma. Very nice porter indeed.

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - NOV 9, 2004
UPDATED: APR 25, 2005 Very dark brown, almost black with a nice light brown head. Aroma is lightly roasty, not much there. The taste however, offers much more than the aroma - Roasted malt, coffee, espresso and chocolate with the perfect level of sweetness, hops and a touch of smoke. Leaves a mildly burnt aftertaste. Mouthfeel if full, round and creamy. Nice head retention and lacing. Great Porter!

AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - OCT 28, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2006 Rerate with beer brewed in Asheville: Mocha colored head on a classically colored red hued, black body. Aroma has some dark fruit, particularly cherry, milk, charcoal roast, orange rind fruit, and a smokey, bacon-like character. Flavor is orange rind fruit and roasty chocolate, a good balance and originality for an American porter. Contract brewed bottle:SCORES 6 1 6 2 11. Opaque, black with a light, brown head (possibly the darkest porter I have ever seen). Chocolate and coffee with milk aroma and some green hop (somewhat unidimensional). Flavor is mild...some green hop, chocolate and espresso. Decent dark ale but rather ameateurish compared to their other beer.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Color as black as Lincoln’s hat, with a thick, lush tan head. Aroma is soft, sweet, light, and very oaty! Nice presence upon the palate, very smooth, though not too strong on flavor. Solid, sturdy, and full-bodied. Nutty flavors come through, more sweet maltiness, significantly less hops. I did enjoy this "oatmeal" porter. "Oatmeal" porter? Got to hand it to Highland, it’s a new one on me! I’ve never been to North Carolina, but if I ever go, I’ll know what to drink.

apost8n8 (123) - USA - OCT 25, 2004
Wow! After working several days and nights my fellow workmates and I decided a refreshing drink was in order to replenish our strength and resolve to finish our task. Off we trekked to the local brewpub with hops and barley malt memories on our tastebuds. Too our total shock they were completely out of beer! No porters, no ales, no blondes, no pilsners. Macrobrewed pale water was our only resort. With great displeasure we made our sore order. A few minutes later with expectations so low our waiter returned with four Highland Oatmeal Porters in Hand! What is this new brew. It poured black with a frothy head delicious hoppy start with smooth chocolate and caramel malty finish. I had to have another. Twas a fine fine day.

biermonk (264) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 24, 2004
ON tap at Summits Wayside Tavern...EXCELLENT porter from Highland..Nice roasted malt flavors companied with chocolate and some bitter coffe flavor...Thick and sustaining this beer could be a meal on its own. Very pleasantly suprised by this a quality porter from a smallish brewery in the mountains of NC.

postmodern (1) - USA - OCT 19, 2004 does not count
This my favirite beer, poter is my far the best form of beer for me. I had this in Gatlingburg, Tn at a pub please pick this beer up abd give it a try