overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 126   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Ann is the wine barrel aged version of Anna (1902-?), our grandfather’s sister as well as the name of our Honey Saison. In her honor, we fill French Oak wine barrels with honey saison and allow the beer to mature in the presence of our resident microflora. After many months, a beautifully complex beer emerges--Anna becomes Ann. Naturally carbonated and dipped in beeswax, Ann displays the microflora of her landscape. This the ale that I dreamed to have shared with Anna.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Bottle, thanks Shaun. Poured into the brewers stemware. Natural hazy golden pour with a medium sized fine bubbled white head with lots of lace. Super clean and tart nose, wine barrel comes through but harmonizes so naturally with the base beer that you’d think it was always meant to be there. Light honey, lemon, oak. Fantasticly integrated flavor as well and not as wine dominant as some of HFB other wine barrel aged beers. Slightly slick and acidic palate, could stand for a touch more crispness but I’m not sure if that’s really a legitimate critique. But this is a damn fine beer. Shit, I’m really having trouble finding a way to take points away from this beer and it’s everything I want in a saison plus more. This sorta reminds me of Shaun’s Saison Lambic Pinot Noir that he brewed in Denmark for the Norreboro brewery with the o’s that have lines going through them possibly diagonally but this is better. I can honestly say that I’d rather be home here in NC drinking this awesome beer than to be in LA right now drinking copious amounts of awesome shit with my homies. Because this is that good and I have it all to myself. Sometimes, you have to be selfish.

McGrupp612 (144) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 2, 2012
Hazy gold pour with a nice white head. Good lacing as well. Wine, tartness, oak, spice citrus and musty basement on the nose. All aromas are woven perfectly together. It smells so good that i was hesitant to drink. Flavor follows the aroma. Funk, acidity, lemon, citrus, oak, wine, a hint of malt sweetness. Tastes as good as it smells. Medium body, very creamy. The mouthfeel is as impressive as the aroma and flavor. I do not rate many beers, but this is perfect for a funky/sour saison. I have been impressed with everything from Hillfarmstead that I’ve tried, but this beer is on a differnt level. The only flaw is that not many people will get to drink this.

jkwood04 (5448) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 13, 2015
Move over Abner, we got another beer that deserves a 5. 750ml bottle in a tulip batch 2 bro. Pours hazy golden with a lacy, white head. Aroma of light tartness, some barrels and light wine, some honey, light malts, and some notes of light fruits. Flavor the same with an incredible blend. Smoother texture. Shaun Hill is a genius.

cfrances33 (35) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2015
Batch 2 bottle, split two ways. Poured into a wine stem. Appearance is crystal clear yellow-orange with finger of frothy, white head. Some lacing, and the head dissipates to a rim after a few minutes. Aroma is fresh honey, white wine, lemon. Some floral aspects, and a hint of funk. Taste is incredible. A deep honey flavor, minus the sweetness associated with it. White wine, lemon, juicy ripe white peaches, champagne, and drying oak. As it opens up, the white peach and champagne become prominent. Palate is delicate and complex. Many layers all complimenting perfectly. Juicy, but with a delicate dry finish. Overall, this is a truly exceptional beer. The care and effort that went into creating this are obvious. Well done, Shaun!

HopStunna (1) - - MAR 17, 2016 does not count
Batch 2. Cannot see a beer getting any better than this. The wine barrel and honey add "Zenith" like characteristics to the original beer.

MacBoost (1898) - Victor, New York, USA - MAY 27, 2017
Well, this is it. My personal white whale and a honestly earth shattering beer experience.

I’m not sure you are ready to handle this level of cred, but take a peek if you dare:

And then this:
Yup, that’s a magnum of Ann.
It was an experience that transcended beer and life itself. Poured at the Hill Farmstead 7th anniversary week on Saturday. Spilt with some very generous and very hungover bros who I’ve never met before and will probably never see again. It was a perfect medley of honey, wine and funk that was more than the sum of its parts. Shared against the backdrop of the Vermont countryside, it was ethereal in every sense. It was too perfect for you to understand without being there yourself...without the setting, it doesn’t get a 5. Without the magnum it doesn’t get a 5. Without the people I shared it with, it doesn’t get a 5. But...put all those together and you have perfection. In every sense. Without apology and without reservation, this beer is the greatest thing ever brewed, bar none.

oteyj (2139) - New Hampshire, USA - MAY 26, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2012 Bottle courtesy of Shaun at the Hill Farmstead 2nd Anniversary vip party. A bright golden pour yields a great frothy white head with thick lacing. White grape juice, quenching lactic acid, and mead notes abound, with an ever present funk profile, giving way to earthen cheesy brett and tropical fruits. Light body with pillowy effervescence and a dry crisp finish. I absolutely loved this beer, and it was one of the highlights of the event for me.

Re-rate from a release bottle. Shared with my dad on my birthday. Nice to revisit this beer when I am completely sober. I certainly wasn’t for my original rating, but surprisingly I captured it pretty well. Very vinous, funky, and lactic, with vibrant nectar and tropical fruits trailing off with mead like notes. Complex farmy brett. The palate is just perfect. Soft but full carbonation with a bone dry finish. Vibrant, bright and complex. This is without a doubt my favorite beer from Hill Farmstead.

craftycarl21 (2338) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 10, 2012
Gigantic thanks to oteyj for this bottle!! Pours a hazy gold with a gorgeous frothy head. Absolutely ridiculous nose; stunning cheesecloth and tropical funk, guava and mango, pink grapefruit, and hints of barrel and vinous sweetness. Flavor adds much more wine character, tart strawberry, with that same otherworldly funk and fruit. Bone dry. Nearly flawless.

strawberry (14) - Hanover, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Clear deep golden body under an airy tall white head. Floral lemon and sun-kissed hay on the nose. Deliciously harmonious flavors... pineapple, floral honey, white grape, slight barrel presence and hints of funk. Crisp but not overly-dry. Ridiculously easy-drinking. If I could drink one beer for the rest of my life, I might very well chose this.

sisuspeed (62) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Poured into some Hill Farmstead stemware. Beautiful golden honey body with a fingers worth of foamy white head. Nice lacing. Lots of earthy French oak notes in the aroma. Light mustiness with hay and floral honey. The taste continues to bring out some great oak notes from the barrel and mixes with a touch of honey and earthy grains. Light floral-citrus acidity throughout. Tastes amazing. Body is smooth with perfect carbonation. The mouthfeel has a nice creaminess to it. Overall, this beer is essentially perfect. I really can’t see how a farmhouse ale/saison could get better than this. One of the best beers I have ever had.