overall
RATINGS: 195   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.16/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 280   EST. CALORIES: 309   ABV: 10.3%
Ephraim (1823-1913) was our great-great grandfather; Hill Farmstead Brewery resides several hundred feet downhill from the land that he and his father settled. In his honor, this Imperial India Pale Ale is dutifully crafted from American malted barley, buckets of American hops, our ale yeast and water from our well. It is unfiltered, naturally carbonated, and double dry hopped. Intensely aromatic and saturated with resinous hop flavor, this is the ale that I dream to have shared with Ephraim. 10.3%, 21ºP, 280 Theoretical ibus. Ingredients: Pale Malt; Dextrose; Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, and Warrior hops, Ale Yeast, and our Well Water.

kimjongill (207) - - MAY 10, 2013
Hefty citrus aroma. brilliant orange/grapefruit colored pour. Great flavor balance. The sweetness Mouthfeel is somehow both thick and light at the same time. Best mouthfeel on a double IPA.

ctipping (2236) - Florida, USA - NOV 11, 2015
750 mL growler. Originally reviewed 10/8/2011. Hazy golden orange body with a slightly dark tint to it. Not a huge head, but what’s there is a sticky and lacey and all that is wondeful. Smell - Gobs of citrus hops. The sweetness is there, but even at 10.5% it doesn’t dominate in the aroma. The sweetness does come through in the taste, but it’s secondary to the hops and it even incorporates itself pretty well. Once the waves of citrus hops die down, the sweetness comes about in mango and pineapple flavors. It’s as if the malt is an appendage of the hops. It finishes ever-so-slightly bitter. Low carbonation. I wonder if that’s a growler thing or if that’s just how it is. The body comes off a bit heavy from the lack of carbonation, but the flavors bring you back for more and more. I have increased my rating of this beer every time I’ve had it.

harmfillstead (8) - - MAY 2, 2013 does not count
Wonderful ! This is a beer that you always want to have around. The only reason I didn’t rate this tops across the board is that the sheer intensity of it nullifies the taste buds so you can find yourself temporarily unable to gather the full flavor or the beer. Sooooo delicious , but not there very best.