overall
RATINGS: 158   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Fear and Trembling was Hill Farmstead’s first collaboration – a Baltic Porter brewed with malt that was hand smoked over maple wood by our Danish friend, and former colleague, Anders Kissmeyer. This version was a rebrew of Batch #4 in our brewery...and was aged for many weeks in stainless steel. As a student of philosophy and former resident of Copenhagen, it is fitting that our brewer named our first collaboration after Denmark’s great thinker: Søren Kierkegaard. All three contemplated absurdity, faith, and salvation while wandering the shores of the Baltic Sea…

“continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling”

Note: This is stainless steel fermentation, no barrel treatment (released 2013 and late 2015)

dlovell2 (2140) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 18, 2016
Pours black with a tan head. Aroma is smoke with fresh wood. Flavor is roasted malt with sweet caramel malt, chocolate and brown sugar. Finish is woody and smoky.

JaBier (7973) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - NOV 23, 2016
Bottle shared by a friend. Pours black with a medium tan head. Aroma of malt, roast, dark fruit and chocolate. Malty flavor with rich chocolate before a bitter, roasty finish. Not getting a lot of smoke and I’m okay with that.

Saeglopur (2178) - Vienna Woods, AUSTRIA - JAN 28, 2017
500 ml bottle, bottled 9.13.16, shared by Werckmeister, thanks!
Almost black body, with a medium, dense, creamy, lacing, dark beige head.
Aroma of coffee, liquorice, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, ash, subtle dark fruits.
Tastes quite similar, with some more subtle hops.
Medium, creamy mouthfeel, with a moderate carbonation.
Finishes roasty, medium dry, a bit wooden, with liquorice, coffee, cocoa powder, subtle ash.

Really tasty! Very smooth and balanced, with just the right amount of roastiness, dryness and sweetness. Alcohol is almost completely hidden. One of my favourite style examples I’ve had so far!

beerplace (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 8, 2017
500ml bottle (thx, Nick M.!) that accidentally fallen and opened from the shelf while I was packing the box for Alex G. and Jonathan M, hehe. Bottled on 2015-10-28. Pours an almost black with a dark beige head. Aroma is roasted malt, smokiness, mazut notes, some dark fruits. Taste is similar, moderately sweet. Smokey roasted malt aftertaste. Very good stuff.

drowland (8730) - Georgia, USA - FEB 22, 2013
2/22/13. Bottle from Leighton during RBWG! Deep brown pour with a nice brown head. Smoke and sweet roasted malts in the aroma and flavor with chocolate. Nice.

Huhzubendah (3705) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 15, 2013
New Hill Farmstead beer. I so excite. The beer is dark brown with a small beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of malt, sausage, campfire. Baltic character. Rauchbier quality. Burnt sausage and bacon with smokey campfire flavor. Delicious. Not for everyone, but if you like smoked brews (and I do), this is for you. Just delicious.

mathieuc (3990) - Québec, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 16, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2013 Bottle thanks to czar, thanks a bunch! Pours a really, really dark brown. The head on it won’t stay and does not leave any lacing (or only minimal), not ugly looking but not magnificient either. Aroma is full of smoke (what did I expect?), hickory-like. There are also a lot of roasted grains aromatics. Taste is quite dry, a lot less sweet than I anticipated. Mouthfeel is just perfect, with soft carbonation. I could see myself drinking a lot of this, even if I’m not a smoked beer fan usually. Balance between smoke and the classic porter components make it quite quaffable. This is not at Everett’s level, but quite close really. God these Hill Farmstead guys know what they are doing!

P.S. Drinks nowhere near that 9% ABV, this is ridiculous!

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2013
UPDATED: APR 2, 2013 Bottle. Pours black with off white head. Aroma beechwood, cocoa, anise. Flavor has beechwood smoke, cocoa, some ash, dark fruit, nutty. Clean, touch too ashy for me but solid. Not a Baltic porter but whatever.

Advocate_Ames (626) - Steubenville, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2013
Pours very dark with an off white thin head. The aroma contains yeast, roasted grains, and chocolate malts. It has a definitive smoke scent. In the flavor I noticed a rich malt character, roastiness, bitter chocolate, mild sweetiness, and a smoke flavor. In the finish I picked up on a soft carbonation, a minor salty bitter sweetness, and a weak yeast flavor. I believe the bitter sweet is from chocolate, carmel, hops, and sugar or dried dark fruit. Overall it was a pleasant finish and affects the palate slightly. This is worth a try, a nicely done beverage.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 23, 2013
In short: A well malted and medium smoky black beer with just the right amount of everything.
How: Tap at Prohibition Pig, Waterbury VT. Then a fresh 500ml bottle home.
The look: Very very dark mahogany body (pretty much black) topped by a medium tan head with good retention.
In long: Nose is medium smoky with a smoke character that is part smoked pull-pork and part campfire. Body has a rich malt backbone with a velvety pillow texture with a perfectly levelled medium carbonation. The malts offer flavors of chocolate brownies, caramel, almonds, all-grain brown bread. The smoke is strong part of the flavor spectrum but doesn’t overwhelmed the beer, this is smoky beer, not an uber-smoky beer. Very nice meaty and woody smoke. More hoppy than usual for the style but less hoppy than usual for a Hill Farmstead beer. The hop profile feels leafy, fresh tobacco and even a bit citrusy. Despite a rich malty body the sweetness sensation is kept in check. Very enjoyable offering, I preferred this base beer over all three barrel aged treatments of this beer I had before. And if I ever go missing and the tv says “5 feet 11, long brown hair, was last seen driving a truck full of Hill Farmstead beers”, please don’t look for me, I’m hiding, I don’t wanna be found.